Darwin - My first planning disaster!!


Advertisement
Published: June 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

The Darwin TributariesThe Darwin TributariesThe Darwin Tributaries

View of the rivers from the air - they are absolutely spectacular and look like trees.
Well, what can I say - I have cocked up big time here! We arrived okay and got a taxi to the accommodation that we had booked. Well, we initially booked other accommodation, but the woman decided she could not fit 3 of us into one room so rearranged for us to stay with a friend of hers in the flat below her house. It seemed okay when we arrived and the lady very nice, but she then started with some comments that seemed a bit odd when you are encouraging people to stay in your house! Things like; the last bloke that stayed here got bitten by a snake when he stepped on it outside your door. The pool is not working because we had the back yard destroyed by a bush fire last week, lit by aboriginal children over the back - they are always doing it! I've tried to clean up as best I can because the kids use it as a den. Don't mind all the hundreds of kids, its the neighborhood drop in centre. Don't mind all the cats as they try to get in, they're really friendly.
We could have coped okay with all of
Aquascene - DarwinAquascene - DarwinAquascene - Darwin

Kiera feeding the fish at Aquascene, an amazing experience.
this, were very peeved that the pool wasn't working as it is very hot here, but then we sat on the bed and it collapsed!! Last straw so we packed up and headed into town.
Everything is very expensive here and it really is a nothing city. It becomes obvious very quickly that it is just a jump off point to see the National Parks, most of which are about 3 hours away. The trips are horrendously expensive and we can't afford any of them, about 150 pounds per person and coupled with the travelling (3 hrs each way) we decided it just wasn't worth it. Not much to do in the town although we went to Aquascene - a great place where literally hundreds of fish come in the feed each day. We were stood in the water hand feeding all the fish which was fantastic for Kiera and she couldn't believe it. Also went to the Australian Pearling exhibition which was very good - learnt all about the pearling industry and how pearls and cultured pearls are made. Yesterday we went to the Museum and Art Gallery of the Northern Territories which was excellent and FREE! It has
Interesting Trees!Interesting Trees!Interesting Trees!

Kiera stood in front of a tree, the roots are quite something.
a giant saltwater stuffed crocodile called Sweetheart - very scary up close! Very informative and didn't realise just how many nasty things they have in Australia, and lizards etc which look almost prehistoric. It also contained the an exhibition by an artist called Grahame Best of a book called Waterhole. The most fantastic pictures and a book we will look out for and buy for Kiera.
Well, we are off to our campsite at Tumbling Waters (3 days early) today and we shall not miss Darwin at all. We ended up staying in a tiny motel room and have literally lived on top of each other for the last 4 days, so it will be a relief to have some space. Darwin is definately a backpackers town and were I aged 20 and a size 8 I would perhaps feel more at home!!!!!
I hope to report next week and say that we have had a much better time out in the National Parks. Take Care
Lots of Love
Nic, Rik & Kiera xxxxxx
PS. Mum, keep the Standard Life shares. Ta xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Darwin viewDarwin view
Darwin view

View of Mindl Beach, Darwin. Some good night markets on a Thursday.


23rd June 2006

Hello
Hi All, Thanks to Kiera for Rachel's Rainbow Magic e-card. She really liked it and added she hadn't got that one yet!(fairy). Sorry to hear that Darwin didn't live upto your expectations. Must put that in a memory bank just in case we ever get down under... you never know. Can't believe only 4 weeks left of term. Looking forward to not having to dash off in the mornings. Work has got better and seems to be doing the trick in keeping my mind occupied, the warmer and sunnier weather has also helped. May not need counselling afterall... Had a little soiree last night, Jane, Angela and Tracy came for supper. Thought of you all. Very pleasant time, first chance I've had to chat to Jane and Tracy, only pass each other at school drop off times. Hope your next location meets/exceeds your expectations. Take care, Love Lynn x Ps. Can you put photos on this site? Love to see some.
24th June 2006

Darwin
What's wrong with you, most people love Darwin! The bad accomodation would have spoiled it for you so that is sad. But you are right, it is the National Parks you have to see and that takes time as well as money. Where is Tumbling Waters and are you on the road or still flying? Look forward to the next instalment. Maureen
27th June 2006

hi
hi u 3 never mind not all places are gud, better luck with the campsite love the warburtons

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0245s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb