Twenty 2 -Twenty 8


Advertisement
Published: July 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

DAY 245

It was up and away this morning, after the usual routine, we wanted to, have to get something done. Well, after we had a Skype call from the Travelin Trueys that is, or the Not So Travelin Trueys, I should say.

Our fridge supply power pack still has not arrived so after a call to In and Outboard Marine, Michael tells Andy he can come down a pick a replacement up, and when the Eva cool’s replacement finally arrives then In and Out board marine will keep the replacement part. We were pretty desperate to get something done as the fault light on the fridge had reappeared, it is still plugged into the truck and as we are not doing so many kilometres at the moment it is draining the battery.

We drive through town, and get to this huge Marine dealer who sells everything from Jet Ski’s to complete boats and everything you could possibly think of for a day, a week, a year out on the water, GPS, lifejackets, you name it they have it.

Michael is so helpful, and hands over the unit and apologises, Andy asks “Why are you apologising you have not done anything wrong in fact you service has been fantastic.” Michael says he is apologising generally for the part not turning up and he has not been able to be more helpful.

Happy we jump back in the truck, we have got our Mini Golf heads on now and have found a place to play, just a few K’s from where we are, so that’s were we head, but in the meantime drive past an area of Darwin that we stop at for a couple of pictures, just down by the Deckchair Cinema. We see a man on the beach, he is not a very young man, but he is wearing a thong and I am not talking about the thongs that you wear on your feet. It was not a pleasant sight, but your eyes could not help being drawn to the saggy bottom walking along the shoreline, it was not a pretty sight, but perhaps he does it to keep the crocodiles away.

Caroline has thrown the gauntlet down and I have stood on her gauntlet and rubbed it in to the dirt, metaphorically speaking of course. We are soon at Golf Links, as it is quite a hot day we park the truck in the shade, and we go in, but before we pay our entrance fee of $6.00 (quite reasonably priced) we look around the course to see if it is worth paying and playing, we see what condition it is in, looks good, and how hard it looks.

We hand over our $6.00 bucks each, the bloke behind the counter says make sure you both cheat your way round, gouging, biting and general misbehaviour is allowed.

Caroline asks, No, correction, Caroline tells me I have to go first as she always go first, I obey, and make my first putt, in for 2, Caroline does it in 3 and I think to myself smugly that I have got this in the bag. Things then take a turn for the worse, it is a tough little course with some stinkers of holes, Caroline gets a hole in one on the 7th, but I manage a 2 anyway. The first nine holes for me goes from bad to worse, I manage to drag myself round in 28 and Caroline cruises around in 22.

The back nine holes are getting even more difficult with holes put in seemingly impossible positions. The last 5 holes are absolutely tormenting, out of sheer luck I manage to bag a hole in one on the 17th Whilst Caroline does it in 5 shots, and the 18th Caroline does it in 3 and me in 2.

Overall Caroline played exceptionally well, if I hadn’t of got a hole in one on the 17th and Caroline had not have struggled, then she would have seriously trounced me.

The overall scores for the first 9 were Andy 28, Caroline 22 and I could not believe the coincidence when I added the scores for the back nine which were Andy 22 and Caroline 28.

Having such a competitive wife is great fun, it keeps you on your toes, the chap behind the counter exclaims we can go out and pick the hardest hole then play it again to decide the winner, if this doesn’t decide who won then we move on to the next hole and so on. We decline, as we consider it not sporting enough, we want to at least play another round, and decide a decent prize, could be a coffee or a coke somewhere.

Really pleased that the score was a draw, we are only too happy to play on this great miniature golf course again.

We pull out of the golf course and are only just down the road from Mindil beach where they hold the market (I hate markets) its just full of things that are just tat, with the exception of a few market stall holders who are very talented. I heard an advertisement on the radio a couple of days ago saying Mindil Beach has 50 or something food stalls, with over a 1000 dishes to choose from, whoop de doo, haven’t they heard of restaurants.

As we are an hour or so early for the market we park the truck easily, so we walk on to the beach to look at the view, this is where a Crocodile swam past the other day no more than 10ft from the beach, we can see people in the water swimming. Caroline commented that this would be the last place she would want to swim.

With the market starting to get busy we stroll around, loads of Aboriginal stuff like didgeridoos, boomerangs, paintings etc were available, and then stalls of people selling incense and stuff like that.

One stall that I did think was excellent was .a girl who did these exceptionally good paintings then made small prints from the masters they were really good, and the other thing that caught my eye was the British bloke who really could play the didgeridoo or, well 4 of them it was just him and a drummer they were brilliant. We stood for a while and watched them perform.

Just after 7.00 we get back to camp and had some dinner, We were sat quietly after eating our dinner, Andy was typing the blog and I was reading, we hear a noise in our camp, Andy tells me that a Possum has appeared, he seems to be sniffing around the base of our containers without any concern for the fact we are sitting there he starts to sniff the frying pan, which is clean but sitting on top of the kitchen box. The Possum realises that it has not been used, but you can see his nose edging upwards, he can smell something, and it looks as if he wants it.

The Possum with some agility grabbed the table leg with all four of its paws and hoisted himself up, his head suddenly popped up above the table and with his two front paws managed to scramble up before pushing up with the rest of his body and releasing his two back paws, he is now sat on the table, but of course they have complete disregard for anything on the table, so now a plastic glass, actually that sounds weird doesn’t it? Perhaps I should say plastic tumbler has itself taken a tumble and is now resting on the floor below with a possum now sitting in its place sniffing a bowl that had some custard in it, until we ate it of course.

What the possum did not realise is that at the other end of the table was a half full carton of vanilla custard that he could easily have got at if he had chosen the other table leg. I was getting prepared to shoo the intruder off as there was no way he was going to get the vanilla custard!

Realising that he was not going to get anything, jumped off the table wandered past Andy and I with some casual stroll and then when he had passed us he bounded off into the darkness beyond the bounds of our light.

We Skyped Sue in Perth, the washing up was done, the blog was done and then it was time for bed!

Until tomorrow!



Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Hermit CrabHermit Crab
Hermit Crab

This little fellow had a little pinch
Mindil MarketMindil Market
Mindil Market

Before it got busy
Fashion DesignerFashion Designer
Fashion Designer

This Girl made all her own cloths
Fashion DesignerFashion Designer
Fashion Designer

And stood as a live statue
Fashion DesignerFashion Designer
Fashion Designer

As a platform to show her designs and raise money tofinish her diploma
MANMAN
MAN

This bloke could play
yukyuk
yuk

This thing was parked in the car park


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb