Malay Bay to Alcaro Bay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Arnhemland
June 18th 2013
Published: June 22nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Today is another lay day...seems to be the only time I update my diary entries. So, after a relaxing day in the beautiful Malay Bay we had an early departure to head for Raffles Bay. We started off well with the wind quite light, and the tidal current pushing us along at 5kts. However after a couple of hours the wind died completely and we were fighting a cross current into Bowen Straight. So we had to motor for basically the rest of the day. Navigation was a bit tricky (well in the end it wasn’t, but during it, I was a bit nervous) as we had to pass one side of a sand bar that went right through the middle. From the charts, it looked like there was more room on the western side of the bar, and one cruising guide we had said go the eastern side, but the other said go the western side (although as it was unsurveyed, there could be more ‘structure’ in close to shore). The pilot book said go East, so the Eastern side we went. Of course, there was plenty deep water all the way, but that didn’t stop me from being slightly worried the whole trip through. The coastline was just amazing and once again, we would’ve loved to have explored here for weeks. We could imagine that in a strong tide and winds, it would have to potential to be very nasty inside, but this day it was flat, calm and beautiful!! We got the aid of the current gradually over our way north through the channel and so decided to give Raffles Bay a miss and continue on to Point Danger (what a lovely name for an anchorage!!). Once again we had a little way into the bay, but didn’t go in very far as it was quite protected from very early on. We had the pick dropped and sundowners by 5:45. Once again, a lovely sunset...they’re all so different but so beautiful.



Yesterday once again we were up early so that we could get to Alcaro Bay before dark. Had an excellent day sail, light winds for some of the time, but was on a beam reach so were still able to sail at a reasonable pace. In the end it was the tide that got us and slowed us down, once again corresponding with the wind dying!! So, had to motor for the last 2 hours of the day. This bay is only a small one in comparison to the ones we’ve been in, so didn’t take long to round the point and get in to shallower waters. Pick and sundowners by 4:30pm. We need to depart here at midnight to get the tide right for our run into Darwin, so a lay day, waiting for the tides. I can handle that!!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.497s; Tpl: 0.03s; cc: 13; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0787s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb