Outback Reptiles


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Alice Springs
October 13th 2013
Published: October 16th 2013
Edit Blog Post

PythonPythonPython

What looks like teeth are heat sensors
The red centre of Australia is not an easy place for neither man nor creature to live. Water is a major issue, and unreliably seasonal out here. A supply of food is difficult as well which is why our Aboriginal people wandered from place to place throughout the seasons.

Reptiles seem to have survived here, and the variety is quite large, both snakes and four legged reptiles in quite a variety of breeds.

The Alice Springs Reptile centre, right in town, has quite a variety of snakes, lizards, skinks and geckos, all native to the red centre. The great thing is you get to learn how to handle the non-venomous lizards, and how to not touch the venomous snakes. You do get a chance to wear an olive python, and most guests did do that.

They also have a smaller number of lizards in open outdoor displays where you can get reasonably up close and personal with some interesting creatures.

We both wanted to see in real life the Thorny Devil, probably the most unusual lizard we have ever wanted to see, and the photos largely tell the story of the unusual camouflage of this little critter.

There are Blue Tongue lizards there plus several cousins not so widely spread as the blue tongue, and even slower to move. These eat small slow moving insects like snails and slugs or anything else that falls its way.

There are other lizards there from the dragon, frilly and goanna families who are very quick to move as I discovered. I was reaching over into the enclosure to get a shot of the Thorny Devil when a frilly lizard arrived by my hand out of no where. He just wanted a snack like a piece of fruit, so didn't attack, but certainly arrived quick.

And yes, they have a salt water crocodile there. You can see him from below water level and eyeball him. Good experience, and kids who were visiting at the same time as us were really watching with interest as his eyes opened and shut.

From here, we head north and then east to Queensland - the home run so to speak.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Nocturnal geckoNocturnal gecko
Nocturnal gecko

Some have a bulbous tail, others the more conventional long tail.
I move quickI move quick
I move quick

Then sit very still waiting for food


17th October 2013

Photos
Hi Rob Rather strange I have loaded the page 4 times now and for the very first time since you left home I cannot view any photos. Weird. Brian
17th October 2013

Weird
Rob Waited a few hours then tried again can see all those great photos now. Brian

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb