Alice Springs


Advertisement
Published: May 2nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Alice Springs is sprawled between the East and West McDonnell ranges and quite a spectacular setting with an approximate population of 28,000, 10% of which are the local Aboriginal people many of whom speak in their local dialect and not English and fascinating to hear. Coming from Rotorua where there is a high proportion of Maori, I have hardly ever heard the Maori language spoken on the streets there.

We have based ourselves at one of the local camping grounds and have used our bikes to get around as the city is quite flat with plenty of bike lanes. Just as well as it is very very hot here so hills would not be that inviting for sure. The campsite is invaded each night by hundreds of noisy Galahs and we have ensured that our site is well away from the trees that they sleep in. Same goes for any washing on the line which must be taken down unless we want to wash them again to get the bird poo off!

Our campground also is at the foot of the Eastern range called the Gap and are fortunate to have local rock wallabies visiting us every evening at dusk to eat the food that can be bought in the shop. They are so cute and even hold your hand with their paws while they eat the food from the palm of your hand.

We biked out to the Alice Springs Desert Park where we saw many species of birds in the aviaries, a great nocturnal house (with snakes and scorpions etc) and watched an amazing free flight bird show with Galahs, eagles, hawks and even an owl that they had trained to come out during the day!

The Anzac Day service was, unfortunately, yesterday and we could not get to Alice in time. However we went up Anzac Hill to the look out of the city and it was sad to see all the fresh wreaths of flowers still displayed from all the local schools, armed services and other clubs etc.

Mentioning no name in particular, someone was moving the van and accidentally broke one of the side windows when it collided with a sign! Now, we must base ourselves around Alice Springs whilst we wait a week for a replacement to be trucked in! Actually we have had a great time, relaxing and talking
Alice Spring  Alice Spring  Alice Spring

Not the spring they thought it was. Dry as a bone!
to the neighbours and biking around the place. Yesterday we even decided to head off and explore the West MacDonnell Ranges and camped in the National park there. When we took off for a four hour hike early this morning we simply jammed the table up against the window and stuck a broom behind it and wedged it against our seats so that it was impossible for someone to break in.

Tomorrow, the window will be fixed and we will be on the road north again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Alice Springs War Memorial.  Alice Springs War Memorial.
Alice Springs War Memorial.

The day after ANZAC day
Ormiston Gorge - Ormiston Gorge -
Ormiston Gorge -

West MacDonnell Ranges
Pedal operated two way radio Pedal operated two way radio
Pedal operated two way radio

Alice Springs museum
Pete swimming. Pete swimming.
Pete swimming.

In the dry Todd River in Alice Springs
Ringed parrotRinged parrot
Ringed parrot

In camp site.
Stanley Chasm  Stanley Chasm
Stanley Chasm

West McDonnell Ranges


8th May 2013

Glad you are enjoying the Alice, we loved it too when we were there.
9th May 2013

Alice
Hi Dawn and Howard Good to hear from you. We are now in Katherine where it is hotter than Alice! The Gorge was fantastic, especially the dip in the water hole! Regards Suzanne and Peter

Tot: 0.254s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 7; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0751s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb