The Beginning of the Middle...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Alice Springs
October 26th 2010
Published: December 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Thorny Devil Thorny Devil Thorny Devil

Found hanging out at the side of the road!
Alice Springs. Interesting place. After a very long wait in Cairns Airport, I flew to Alice Springs and was surprised to see how green it was. It has been raining here so much that there is fresh green grass and colourful wildflowers all about the place - something you only have the privilege to see once every thirty years or so. Maybe the rain that's been following me around isn't such a curse after all.

I was picked up for the adventure through the middle of Australia and we began to collect the others. " There are only going to be four of you on this tour. There are normally at least 18." This could be interesting then...

The first pick-up is an Israeli guy called Yanni who whilst I understand what he says, I just don't get it. Then Graham the Canadian and Sarah, a fellow Londoner.

We start the drive from Alice and rather randomly make a stop at a camel farm. Who knew Australia had so many camels? Had a little ride on a camel and left again.

It's a pretty long drive to Kings Canyon (Watarrka) so we stop off along the way
Camel Riding Camel Riding Camel Riding

How funny is my face? Was clearly surprised by the camel!
to collect firewood. My feeble attempt produced about three or four twigs. I'll get you next time firewood.

We arrived at our station just before sunset, watched it, roasted marshmallows on the fire, looked up the masses of stars and fell asleep underneath them in our swags.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 21; qc: 101; dbt: 0.0807s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb