Keen to See Alice Springs, But it Was Closed


Advertisement
Published: November 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Alice SpringsAlice SpringsAlice Springs

The view over Alice Springs from Anzak Hill
We messed up with Alice Springs when we scheduled our itinerary. Given that the Uluru and Kings Canyon tour would take the whole of three days (see The Slow Pace of The Mature Peoples' Tour), it left only a few hours each side of it to look round Alice Springs. Unlike Darwin (see Darwin, But Not as I Remembered It) that was no where near enough time, sadly.

When we first arrived it was starting to get late in the afternoon and most of the key places were closed or closing. We went though the Todd Street Mall and checked out a few shops. We then climbed Anzac Hill, where we had timed it perfectly for the sunset. We also managed to see Adelaide House, the Old Court House and the Stuart Town Gaol, albeit from the outside only as they were closed.

We would need to cover a lot of ground when we got back (see The Alice Springs Express Tour).

Despite everything being closed, it was another trip down memory lane for me as I'd particularly liked Alice Springs last time I was here (see A Town Called Alice). It just seems to epitomise what we expect rural Australia to be about.

We had booked the tour as part of the package from the UK,
Anzak Hill SunsetAnzak Hill SunsetAnzak Hill Sunset

Sunset on the monument on Anzak Hill
however we didn’t have any information as to who the tour was actually with. The man behind reception in the hotel was extremely helpful and rung round all the main tour companies to find out who we were booked with and when the pick-up was.

The official information did however arrive later that evening, so they hadn’t forgotten about us.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

World DistancesWorld Distances
World Distances

A sign in the Todd Street Mall


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0332s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb