Alice Springs Day 16


Advertisement
Published: August 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today we explored the attractions around the town of Alice Springs. The weather was overcast and quite cool in the morning. We started at the School of the Air where 140 students learn through the internet. They are connected to their teachers in Alice Springs via the internet. There are twelve teachers plus a Principal and Deputy Principal stationed in Alice Springs. During the school year each child’s teacher makes a visit to the station where the child lives. A number of the children also have private tutors who follow the curriculum set down by the School of the Air. The area covered is a 100Km radius from the school headquarters. We then went to the Telegraph Centre which was the original settlement on the telephone pole connection from Adelaide to Darwin and on to Indonesia and England. We next visited Anzac Hill Lookout which gives a panoramic view of the town. We had lunch at the café in the Flying Doctor base and walked into the Mall but were overcome with indigenous people loafing around everywhere. We have been spat at, Graham had an Aboriginal man lean over and burp into his ear {charming} and we have been asked for money. It is all a bit off putting!! So we decided to revisit Standley’s Chasm in the West McDonnell Ranges to get away from the township for a while. The sun had come out by this time and we had warmed up. We are now ready to leave town on the next stage of the journey to Tennant Creek.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0322s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb