Last Weekend


Advertisement
Published: August 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

The other weekend



If theres one thing that Central Australia is known for its out of the ordinary stuff - like jumping on the back of a camel and racing it around an arena!

Yes, the other weekend Alice Springs hosted its annual Camel Cup!

the 11th of July dawned a beautiful day in Central Australia. it was a little iffy at the start with a change predicted to come through, but it stayed away long enough for the event to go off.

I dont know how much you know about Camels, and the racing of the beasts, but the best way to describe it is that they are about as graceful as a cow riding a bicycle.

Camels are the type of animals that do what they want. If they want to run then they run. If they want to sleep then they sleep. Just because they have a rider on their back doesnt make it any different!

There was a 9 race program this year, and fun times were had by all!

The highlight of the day comes during Mr and Mrs Camel Cup - when generally the most outrageous outfit wins! Cross dressing is good, and generally the more outrageous the better!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0928s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb