Kangaroo Splat


Advertisement
Published: November 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

g'day blokes and sheila's

So the journey continues. We have left the cosmopoli-life of sydney and arrived in the Red Centre, otherwise known as the Outback. This is a truely a vast and desolate area. Almost no water or life for thousands of kilometers in all directions from the center. I don't know how much ya'll know about australia...but the super short history lesson is australia was a prison for england...but aboriginals(dark skinned people who have been around for 65,000 years and havent changed their lifestyle) were in the way....so they just massacred everyone they saw and stole all their land. As of the last 30 years, a bit of justice has creeped back...some lands were given back, and killing natives is not a good deed anymore. SO, center and northern australia is the main area to get into this culture. The icon for this adventure is something called Ayers Rock(or Uluru). It is a massive(900meters) red rock in the middle of absolutely nothing. A very strange sight. So we have elected to do a bit of a tour of all of this with another 4wd company.

The day started off early at 4am. As we are driving to the first sight we are all discussing what wildlife we will see. I hadnt seen a wild kangaroo yet(only seen them in captivity) so i was pretty excited. Suddenly...i hear a gasp...i look to the front just in time to see a majestic and very cute kangaroo bounce directly in front of our massive beast vehicle and see the horrible look on its face before it splattered under the car. So the first kangaroo i saw died 1 second later. Worry not though...as kangaroo's are in far excess right now....i am sure this puts a content smile on animal lovers everywhere. Anyway...we experienced all the rock formations and rock paintings in all their glory. This was made all the more intense as we were truely in the absolute middle of nowhere. Nothing anywhere....no sound, or change or movement anywhere. On our drive...we saw wild camels(did you know australia is the only place that wild camel exist?...and in fact their are 700,000 just roaming around!!), wild horses and donkeys, wedgetailed eagles, emus and of course more wild kangaroo( besides the splattered one). All in all a very different and perhaps more quitessential vision of australia. Next we are off to see more of this section but we are heading north into the hot northern territory.

glad to hear from you all...wish i had time to write more, but its expensive to type out here. Much love to yall.byebye
-brad


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0271s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb