Alice Springs, Uluru and Cape Tribulation


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Alice Springs
December 15th 2007
Published: December 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Alice Springs is a tiny little town in the middle of the out-back, the locals were 'interesting' and we witnessed lots drama's in the street! The day after we arrived we were off on a three day red centre safari which we kicked off with a camel ride, those things run fast believe me!! We hiked through the valley of the winds at Kata Tjuta which was more like rock climbing in places and watched the sun set over Uluru. We were supposed to be sleeping in swags under the stars but after dinner the rain poured and a huge electrical storm began! Needless to say we opted for the tents very quickly!!

The following day we walked the base of Uluru after the sunrise (lots of early mornings on this trip!!) and made our way to Kings Canyon for another hike.

We're now in Cairns after three days in Cape Tribulation (the three days were spent minus Charlene's back pack which went awol following our flight from Alice, not to worry though as they have now been lovingly reunited!!).

Cape Tribulation was amazing! Beautiful beaches but its stinger season so no swimming. We took a board walk through the Daintree rain forest and found some HUGE spiders! As big as my hand spiders! The entire town appears to be run by hippies so as you can imagine most things run a pretty slow pace, accept for the horse riding and sea kayacking! We went riding for a morning through the rain forest and along the beach - all I can say is amazing! we're booking lessons when we get home after cantering for the first time. Kayacking around Cape Tribulation itself was pretty hard work and I'm still feeling it now but was well worth it (even though I managed to fall out!).


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The Beginning Of The Uluru ClimbThe Beginning Of The Uluru Climb
The Beginning Of The Uluru Climb

No we did'nt do it!!!! Out of respect of course, not fear!
UluruUluru
Uluru

Early evening
Kings Canyon Kings Canyon
Kings Canyon

Yes it was high!!
Mount SorrowMount Sorrow
Mount Sorrow

Taken on the Daintree river which runs through the rain forrest - we did'nt see any crocs!
Golden Orb SpiderGolden Orb Spider
Golden Orb Spider

Very Large Spider!!
Golden Orb SpiderGolden Orb Spider
Golden Orb Spider

This one was as big as my hand - I was quite calm until it started to move!!


22nd December 2007

Merry Christmas you 2 have a great time, Heather
30th December 2007

Happy New Year, Heather

Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0776s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb