The Red Center


Advertisement
Published: July 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Boy there is a lot to cover here, so many KM to cover today. We all wanted to jump out and get a picture to show we have finally made it to the Northern Territory. Not enough people to handle this huge area of land so it's not a state.

Then we saw the Rock!!!...nope it was "Fool-a-ru" or Mt. Conner. It is twice the size of Uluru, but because it is made of two kinds of sandstone it's not a monolith. But it's not long until the real Uluru (white man says Ayers Rock) is in site. We made it just right to see it at sunset and drink a glass of champaign. Upon arrival at the campground we see all the excitemenet...a big brush fire..we hope it's under control. Our tent accommodations are good especially with the help of the swag.

The next morning we get up early to do the 9K walk around the Rock at sunrise. Then we are off to Kata Tjuta. The rock formation is really nice and the hike is great. Uluru has the limited perimeter rock and can't take pictures of some of the sacred formations. We also didn't climb the rock out of respect to aboriginal request.

We headed off to Kings Canyon for another long hike. It was incredible to walk the rim of the canyon then descend into the Garden of Eden, a waterhole with green vegetation....really awesome.

Had to stop to get a camel ride..they are running loose all over the outback.

Got to Alice springs at sunset, had dinner with the group then turned in for the night. We're going to get up early to catch a great Desert park and then our afternoon flight to Cairns.




Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 13; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0728s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 3; ; mem: 1.1mb