DAY 8 TASSO - Competition Day


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales
July 13th 2017
Published: July 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

TASSO is 22 hours away from home, jet lagged, and sleep deprived. But this not the day to be tired. Starting with a very early morning, the band boarded the bus with two sets of uniforms in hand in preparation for a day of performances.

By 10am, the pans were set up outdoors at Darling Harbour where TASSO was scheduled to play in front of the Australian Maritime Museum. The weather was beautiful, bright and clear. The sun reflected off the pans, making us feel as if we were gleaming for the audience.

The Darling Harbour performance was a longer set than usual, enabling us to play many of our favourite songs from the repertoire. The band would use this performance as an opportunity to warm up a bit before the evening's adjudged show at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music.

After the performance the band ate lunch as a group by the water.

Without shame, players started a loud humming practice of the pieces to be played for the judges. Everyone understood and respected the seriousness and importance of the night ahead. It was competition time.

At 2pm, TASSO boarded the bus and headed to the performance hall where the group did a crucial sound check to work out any final kinks.

After getting changed into our performance uniform of black jackets and green polo shirts, the group then walked together down to Pitt Street to eat and get ready for the night.

On returning to the Conservatorium, the band sat in the audience to watch the first half of the show and appreciate the wonderful music and talent of other groups from around the world, The Philippines and China included.

When intermission was called, reality set in.

The competition had arrived.

Three judges were waiting to adjudicate us. It was the moment we had al been waiting for, the reason we had traveled so far from Canada to Australia.

For the performance the band would play three pieces to fill their allotted 20-minute requirement on stage.

On the end, TASSO played each piece exceptionally well and the crowd received us very warmly.

Before leaving the venue at the end of the night, Mr. Cupid was approached by the festival's CEO to invite TASSO to play at the closing ceremonies on Saturday night, before the results of the competition would be announced.

This is a true honour for the band, for Canada, and the art of steel-pan.

What a long but successful day it turned out to be.

Thank-you to all who helped make it possible.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



14th July 2017

TASSO All The Way!!!
I've been a fan and supporter of TASSO from Day One. I've seen the ban grow and mature into a force to be reckoned with. Keep reaching for the stars and Keep Jammin' Steel!!!

Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0504s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb