Carry on up the Congo.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales
January 30th 2011
Published: February 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

You're only staying one night?' Kerrie the ranger enquired as we paid up our money,'that's what the folks next to you said and they're up to their fifth night!'

She went on to expound the virtues of this beautiful little campsite right on the estuary of the Congo creek winding its way behind the beach. Swimming in the tidal creek, canoeing up to the wetlands, surfing on two beaches and a 14km walk along the coast to Tuross Head. Don't camp here if you want luxurious amenities. Two pit toilets and a cold beach shower together with a few washing up sinks comprise the facilities. The view, however, is outstanding.

We were lucky enough to sidle up alongside an old boat ramp area and settle ourselves with our table and umberella. Dining with a millionaire's view; all for $20 a night.

Campfires have recently been disallowed and this has discouraged some of the less desirable elements from nearby Moruya using it as a party venue.

Congo is a very small settlement of houses, 'Much cheaper than Manley,' said Kerrie but most of those for sale were around half a million. Shame, I thought, we might have found our perfect retirement location, surf for Graeme and estuary swimming for me. It was certainly chance that we found it, guided only by the little tent icon on a cartosphere map.

Wandering back from the toilets, in a somnambulistic state one night I happen to glance up at the sky.

'Wow, wow and wow!' In our urban lives and the prevalence of light pollution we rarely see the whole panoply of stars, galaxies, nebulas, black holes (well, I did see black shadows) and really the whole universe and beyond!

Turning around following the track of the Milky Way, a star shot across the sky and whilst hugging myself in wonderment another followed it close-by. The meaning of light years, the intricacies of time and space are somewhat fuzzy in my nighttime brain as I try to grasp the meaning of life, 42, time travel, Dr Who and their meaning to my life.

Reeling from this brush with immortality I staggered back into the tent and surrendered myself to mortal sleep.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



26th August 2011
Back from canoeing

All images
Great photos - mouthwatering skies!

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb