Now at opal fields at Lightening Ridge


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales
June 25th 2010
Published: June 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Hi all
Tonight is our 3rd night at Lightening Ridge. Our fossicking here has been fun, but not very successful, so far. The opal here is brighter in colour than White Cliffs, which was mainly a milky white colour. Here it is mainly mined. The last 2 nights we have stayed at Lorne Station, about 6 kms out of town, and last night enjoyed happy hour around a big bonefire.
From White Cliffs we drove back down to Wilcannia, then east. Our next night was at a free park, we had a fire and I cooked dinner in our camp oven.
Our next night was spent at Cobar, another mining town with gold and copper mines. From there we headed north to Bourke on the banks of the Darling River, and stayed 3 nights at the very nice Kidman's Camp at North Bourke. The Back o' Bourke Tour with Stuart from the infomation centre was excellent. We toured the main sites in town, then headed out to the very sad citrus industry that has really been badly affected by the government cut in irrigation water rates with no compensation. We saw huge packing sheds, now finished the last crops picked. We were all given a plastic bag to help ourselves to some oranges (really nice), watermelon were there to be picked (Chris got one), and the table grapes and limes were still on the vines / trees not picked! Some around here are going broke!
Next we visited the cotton gin, and saw the big cotton stacks waiting to be processed. In the plant, we saw the cotton go from the raw to sorted, cleaned and bagged within 2 minutes. There is a lot of cotton grown around here. We also then went on to a jojoba plantation, and got some oil and hand cream from there.
We visited Fred Hollows' , the eye surgeon's grave, he had worked at Bourke, mainly with aboriginal blind people when he first started, and wanted to be buried there.
I spent a morning with Jenny Greentree at a "Tourist Art Class", learning her technique with pastels. It was excellent, I had her to myself as no others booked in for that day, and I produced a picture I'm proud of!
The towns we passed going east of Bourke had not much happening! We saw lots of emu, and plenty of grass. So , we
Chris' friendChris' friendChris' friend

this bird was so tame, it whistled beautifully
continued on to Lightening Ridge, but found it almost booked out. We could only get 1 night in the caravan park (1 of 3 in town), the others were full too, so had to move out to Lorne Station, a more rustic camping ground.
Depending on the weather tomorrow, we may do a day trip about 50kms out to a public fossicking area in another working opal area, or move on. We will decide in the morning! It's warmer here, not using our possum blanket on the bed now!
Cheers
Lynne and Chris


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

freepark sitefreepark site
freepark site

fire and camp oven cooking dinner!
Cobar gold mineCobar gold mine
Cobar gold mine

goes a long way underground
Back o Bourke bridgeBack o Bourke bridge
Back o Bourke bridge

Another vertical lift opening span bridge
cotton - Nth Bourke Ginning Plantcotton - Nth Bourke Ginning Plant
cotton - Nth Bourke Ginning Plant

cotton stacks waiting to be processed


25th June 2010

Hi
Lynne, Well done on your painting. It is just great - another hidden talent. Cheers, Susi
26th June 2010

Thanks
Thanks Susi, I had never done pastels before, and really enjoyed myself. I have done some acrylic painting over here, just playing around, the scenery lends itself to being painted.
26th June 2010

Hi folks,
Great to see more of your adventures. Sorry that i missed Bailey's, but i was sitting it out in 90 knts of wind. Quite challenging for 48 hours but came through it all ok. Throughly enjoyed the island cruising and exploring. I will have to try and get back up there again. Enjoy you travels and look forward to more updates. I will try in due course to send some photos to you of my trip. Regards and best wishes, Graeme and Margaret.
27th June 2010

Great artworks!
Just looked at your post with Jill and Phil. LOVE your painting Lynne-keep at it! Good to see you are still hunting out those gems. Had a great birthday with mum today she was in her element, even the staff made a cake and all came and sang her "Happy Birthday". All in all a successful day. Happy traveling and fossicking. Lots of love XX
27th June 2010

Nice one Lynne
Nice painting Lynne, where's an example of Chris's recent handy work?
30th June 2010

Hi Lynnne n Chris.......love reading your adventures..........congrats to your great pic painting...is excellent. Would you believe we are up in Kakadu area........being bitten by huge mozzies....have met up and travelling with friends we made from S.A last year. Have been to Ubirr, Cahills Crossing now Jabiru.......we still have to go back to our sons at Bowen yet...........Happy days of travells to you both.........cheers Mardi N bap
30th June 2010

Chris painting?
Sounds like he will have to practise a dot one!

Tot: 0.343s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0848s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb