Day 81


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales
June 3rd 2010
Published: June 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Poured most of the night, then just before dawn it stopped and by sunrise, remarkably, spasmodic bursts of sunshine managed to break through and otherwise bleak sky. We left camp slightly after 10 am, wandering down a smallish road, past Lillian Rock and back toward Nimbin. There is a new bridge being constructed and a nice clearing with a river running past it, so decided to have breakfast there before heading into the village proper.
Upon arriving, the first stop was to go back and see Andrew, who had saved the day yesterday. He was very happy to see us back in the village and set about telling us things to see and do in a very enthusiastic yet professional manner.
With map in hand, we went to explore the village. Today, in the sunshine the true vibrance of Nimbin was so obvious. People everywhere, on the side walks, in the stores and everywhere else. Locals and visitors alike, all interacting and enjoying the sunshine. What we had anticipated as a unique, wonderful and yes, different experience was coming true. Something different in every doorway, some of it confronting to our more modest lifestyle, but all of it a truly great experience. If you can come here with a truly open mind and not come to judge, you really will have a great time in this magical little village, Nimbin seems to draw you to it, then 99.99% of the village embraces you with open, non judgemental arms. As Andrew puts it, it is the "Magnetism of the Mountain" that draws people here, and I believe it. Every business is like an adventure, a living museum in a way of it's own wares, though I'm not sure how many people purchase as opposed to simply " have a look" It cant be easy to keep afloat in a town like this, many of the shops having a "thank you" can, somewhere to slip a coin or two as a thanks for amusing my mind for a period of time.
Business here is from one end of the spectrum to the other, from the "pipe" supplier, the shop with everything made from hemp fibre,everything from clothes to particle board and house bricks to the Rainbow Power Company, if you have any need or desire to find out about alternative power sources, these guys are a wealth of knowledge. www.rpc.com.au
There is even a candle maker using the tradition wick dip method and food grade wax, normally reserved for the likes of coating cheeses, this wax is completely safe to burn and be in the same room with and it burns completely smoke free. They are really stunning looking candles too, especially the pyramid and star designs. The lady was a wealth of knowledge about the process and so eager to share the knowledge. They even product "light" candles, designed to produce enough light to read by, something you would be extremely hard pressed to do with a normal "decorative" style candle. Their prices are dirt cheap too for what they are and the burn time . If you are interested in checking out their amazing products the site is www.nimbincandles.com.au
After spending a very relaxing day we went back to say c'ya to Andrew and headed down the mountain toward Murwillumbah. Tomorrow we head to the Gold Coast, to catch up with friends whom we haven't seen in way too long. Looking forward to catching up, not to being in the glitz and glamour, not enough trees and open spaces for us to feel at home in!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0809s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb