Day 80


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales
June 2nd 2010
Published: June 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Got up to a very damp morning thanks to a rather heavy fog. After chatting to a couple of the other campers for a while, we wandered down the road toward Kyogle. Always on the lookout for a town or a road with a name that catches our fancy, we spotted Dingo Creek Rd. With a use name of DBDingo ( DB being my initials and a dingo being Australia's wandering dog, something I can really relate to! ) it beckoned us to follow it. Not that it went very far, but the vegetation at the little creek was utterly stunning. After taking a few shots in the misty magical wonderland, I spotted something blue that looked totally out of place behind some rocks. I discovered the remains not one, but two, what were once quite decent mountain bikes. One wonders how such things come to be in places like this!
We then continued on toward Kyogle, had a wander and did some shopping then the rain really set in. Heading up the range in the rain toward Nimbin was special, fog and rain adding to the mystical wonder of what we would discover now we actually had the time and desire to explore Nimbin.
Having been through Nimbin a couple of times prior, but not having the time to do it right, we had set aside 3 days in order to do justice to the businesses and people of the area. For those of you that don't know anything about Nimbin, it is an alternative lifestyle village, set amidst a stunning backdrop of mountains, fern covered valleys and tranquil waters. I am not sure whether it is really appropriate to refer to it as a "hippie" community, yet in reality,that describesNimbin, from my observations, perfectly. From the brief time we had spent here in the past, we had the feeling Nimbin would be a friendly peaceful town with an assorted collection of local characters and we were anxious get to meet some of them.
It is a town full of colour and vibrance, a town with a museum dedicated to "pot " shops with names like "Bring A Bong" and in fair weather, you catch drifting aromas to add authentication to the names :+). We are not partakers of the pipe ourselves, but don't judge, just wanting to soak up the atmosphere of a carefree town. The first order of business was to make sure we had somewhere to stay, so ventured to the local caravan park HUGE MISTAKE. Never have I been confronted with such arrogance as I was there. Part of the problem was mine, my ATM card has decided it's magnetic encoding has no need to work anymore, that's as much blame as I will accept. The "caravan park" has no real office, just a sliding window that's opened so you can attempt to do business. After being told the prices, which were OK, I am then informed, that's CASH only in a somewhat forceful tone. I responded with, then that leaves me in a bit of a spot as my ATM card doesn't work. Without any further suggestions, I get told "Then I can't help you " and the window gets closed in my face, utterly CHARMING business attitude. Makes one wonder how many sets of books there are on the go for the "cash" to be demanded.
With steam coming out of my ears I was about to write Nimbin off, but that would not of been fair to the entire town when it was but one person working in an industry they obviously hate, the tourism industry. I then went to the local Tourist Information Centre, regrettably with both barrels blazing. Andrew, the guy in attendance there was at the exact opposite end of the spectrum, going way above the call to try to make up for something he had no part in, yet, made every possible helpful suggestion imaginable. After determining the other campgrounds in the area were a little small for our sized vehicle we headed out of town to the Border Ranges Centre on Links Rd at Wadeville, only about 15 km's from Nimbin. It is one of the little gems, nothing glitzy and glamourous, just a nice, well appointed little camp ground for the travelling public to enjoy, with friendly people, totally opposite to my reception earlier.
I am a believer of what goes round, comes around, one deed deserving another, maybe even two. For the rudeness, it was a phone call to someone a lot further up their food chain and a worldwide mention on this site. For Andrew, I have no idea how to thank him other than wishing him every success and happiness in life, for he deserves nothing less. I also hope that anyone reading this that comes to this lovely area, frequents Border Ranges Centre camp ground, they do it so well and deserve to be supported.
Their contact details are www.borderrangescentre.com,.au
With our faith somewhat restored, tomorrow we will wander back to Nimbin ,with fresh minds and fresh eyes to hopefully experience first handed the magic that we had eagerly anticipated for today.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.191s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1552s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb