Day 76


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales
May 29th 2010
Published: June 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Woke up in Leyburn with quite heavy rain falling and the nice grassed area somewhat of a swamp! If you’re ever this way you have to check out the guy that makes the rustic furniture, out of solid slabs of timber he has felled and sawn himself, unbelievable craftsmanship. Their number is (07) 4695 0220 if you’re interested in giving them a call. Their furniture is AMAZING and cheap for the quality and uniqueness of it. Wandered off toward Warwick, spent a while wandering the main street before heading sown the road again in now pouring rain toward Kilarney, Very rarely are we tempted by take away food, but today lends itself to hot chips! The take away in Kilarney proved to be a gem, nice crisp chips and barely a drop of free oil to be seen in the package. Left there heading back into the New England Range, toward Legume, then Woodenbong via Urbenville.
The road after Legume gets skinny and quite rough, but leads into some amazing countryside. After the turn to Urbenville it gets even skinnier, with some quite steep drop off's, most with no guard rails. In the mist and fog with the wind blowing a gale it was quite amazing. At one point, the mist was blowing up the mountain in sheets, then swirling and tumbling across the road before standing up again to continue up the mountain. Despite hating the cold and wet, it was utterly amazing to see. As a photographer, it was something special to witness and photograph. The wonder continued as a couple of minutes later we plunged into a protected valley with the best looking natural ferns we have ever seen. Under 10 minutes later we dropped off the range and into SUNSHINE! In a period of roughly 45 minutes we had been in pouring rain, fog, sleet, howling wind, calm mist filled valleys and sunshine! Without witnessing it for yourself you will likely find it hard to believe possible! The road from that point through Urbenville to the camp at Woodenbong, although lovely countryside was uneventful, arriving at the camp ground at the end of town to settle in for the rest of the day. We hadn't been in camp long when a group of very obvious city slicker weekend 4WD warriors turned up, vehicles coated in mud, gloating to each other how much fun it had been "tearing up the tracks in the wet", losers with no respect and no consideration for anything other than their own "fun" Pity help the next person who actually has to use where they have been in these conditions.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0274s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb