A tale of 2 Cities - fun in the sun down-under!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales
May 16th 2007
Published: May 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Most people spend most of their holiday here but for us it was just a 1 week stopover! Shortly after arriving in Melborne, we decided that our favourite place was Victoria Market where we purchased numerous meals over the 3 days we were there. We found the city to be pretty relaxed and has a great coffee culture in which we indulged! We found ourselves in the middle of the Jazz Festival and took advantage of the free entertainment. St. Kilda is a suburb which is on the beach and has loads of fancy cake shops, although it seems to be a bit run down in places. Before heading to Sydney we decided to go to see the national sport of Australia - Aussie Rules Footbal, St Kilda FC vs Sydney Swansl! Thankfully we sat next to a helpful couple who explained all the rules and we managed to follow most of what was going on. Just for the record St Kila FC won!


We caught an early morning flight to Sydney (the home of the footie losers!) and met up with some friends Carolyn and Tom who are living here now. They showed us some of the sights in between a few beers and dinner. Next day we met up with Suz (a local) who Gareth knows from Bath and we took a ferry trip over to Manly (on the way we saw a pod of dolphins playing around and showing off!) where we had a stroll and fish and chips on the beach. Was good to catch up with all these people on the other side of the world! The following day we visited Taronga Zoo where alongside native Australian animals can be seen loads of other animals from all over the world and good views over the harbour to Sydney. Favourites at the zoo were: kangaroo joey poking out of the pouch, platypus, koalas, tigers, snow leopards, giraffes and lions all of which looked happy. Gareth used a 1G card of memory on his new camera!

The following day we caught our flight to Bangkok to start our trip around south east asia - more to follow so watch this space!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



21st May 2007

Wow
Your blogs and photos are great. Australia looks lovely. Bet you are both a little bit warmer where you are now. Hope youare still having fun. xx

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0283s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb