The long and bumpy road......


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia
May 26th 2007
Published: May 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Since the last update we've been in South East Asia! We arrived in Bangkok very early in the morning after an eventful flight from Sydney! Di was sick on the plane, and got no sympathy from the air hostesses, and not to be left out, Gareth was sick on a small local bus from the airport into Bangkok, but got considerably more sympathy. We both blame a combination of malaria tablets and a dodgy dinner on the plane! The next day we wandered round Bangkok in the morning, and de-stressed with a Thai massage and planned our escape from the city. An early morning train (5.30 am) whisked us slowly towards the Thai/Cambodia border. 120Km and 5h30mins later we arrived in Aranya Prathet to cross into Poipet in Cambodia. This town is described as the cess pit of Cambodia, and it doesn't dissappoint! There are loads of casinos, beggars and con artists. After much harrassment we were finally bundled onto a taxi, which would bring us on one of the slowest, most uncomfortable and memorable journeys we'll ever have. The taxi had to negotiate 100Km of what is supposed to be a road, but is actually a mud track with foot deep pot holes, flooded parts and no driving regulations (other than at least every 10 seconds you must beep your horn!).

We arrived in Siem Reap at about 7pm, and found ourselves a nice hotel and some food. The next day we had another early start (4.30am) to visit the amazing temples of Angkor Wat in time for a not so spectacular sunrise. Our tuk-tuk driver took us on a tour around the temples lasting around 6 hours. These crumbling old structures are spectacular, made more so by their slow reclaimation by the jungle (see the pictures!). Like everywhere else in Cambodia, there are practically no rules here, visitors are free to clamber over and around any of the ruins, even the more dangerous ones (if they dare!). We were back in Siem Reap for lunch and some R&R and headed back to the temples again to visit a few more (can't miss out the one that's in Tomb Raider) and to catch the sunset. This was more spectacular than sunrise, enjoyed with a well earned beer bought from an 8 year old kid who's sales pitch was 'you drink beer and watch sky make pretty colours'. Buying beer from a kid felt totally wrong, but tasted nice! Most people stay round here for a few days, but we were totally templed out, so the next day we took yet another early morning bus to Phnom Penh, the capital of Cambodia.

Phnom Penh has been the scene of some of the most horific atrocities. We visited Tuol Sleng Museum, a former school which had been turned into a security prison by Pol Pot's security forces during the rule of the Khmer Rouge. Here detainees were ruthlessly tortured day and night often to death. Those who did not die during torture were eventually removed to what is now known as the killing fields of Choeung Ek, which we visited in the afternoon. This is a harrowing place, housing a large memorial containing the skulls of over 8000 of the 17,000 men, women and children who were executed and burried in mass graves close by. Some of these graves have not been opened, and bones, skulls and pieces of peoples clothing can be seen sticking out of the ground. The bizzar feel to this place is only added to by the sound of school kids playing next door.

We were ready to leave Cambodia for Vietnam, on yet another early morning bus.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

A few of the mass graves at Choeung EkA few of the mass graves at Choeung Ek
A few of the mass graves at Choeung Ek

You can see clothing and bones protruding from the ground.


28th May 2007

Atmosphere !!
Great to hear your newest blog. Apart from the temples Cambodia sounds a bit sinister from your description, apart from the sky making pretty colours of course. Glad you're both still having a great time. Your photos look very hot !! XX
30th May 2007

Haircut?
Hi both! It sounds like you're both having a fantastic time. Really enjoying reading what you're up to in (not so) sunny Potter's Bar! Anyone spot a green eyed monster? One question though, has Di cut all her hair off?? Mandy x
31st May 2007

I've been there...
.....brought back all my memories! Especially that road between Poipet and Siem Reap - it obviously hasn't changed in the last 4 years!
1st June 2007

Full head of hair!
Hair is all present just constantly covered in sweat and stuck to my head - nice!!

Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0207s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb