Challenging times


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Wyong
August 5th 2012
Published: August 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

As one would expect, the wear is improving the further north we travel. Less layers of clothes needed now. We spent two nights in Bermagui in Zane Gray Tourist Park overlooking Horse-shoe Bay. Very quiet, with only another three groups staying there. The park was named after a famous American author who was very keen on big game fishing and was instrumental in putting Bermagui on the map.

Yesterday we drove up to Central Tilba to visit the cheese factories and have lunch. The cheese was great, and it was very difficult to decide on what to buy, so I bought five types. Lunch was a different matter. We had planned to have a ploughmans lunch, so headed off to the cheese shop/cafe. The girl who served me appeared surprised when I asked for a menu. I expalined to her that I would like to know what they have and at what cost. She then proceeded to point to everything in their dispay case and rattle of costs. We left. Something at the pub was the next best option. After deciding on what we wanted, I went to order only to be told that lunches finish at 2:00 and it was 2:10. We then left Tilba altogether. Seriously, how hard can it be to get something to eat. If we had wanted to buy a candle or some incense, there were any number of options. I can highly recommend fish and chips at the Saltwater Cafe in Bermagui.

Yesterday was also day one of the dog play/fishing challenges. Frank bought some bait and I bought some dog toys. The dogs were totally unimpressed with the squeeky toy and we had steak for dinner. While looking for potential fishing locations we were fortunate enough to see a couple of whales playing. I don't know what type they were, but they were great to watch regardless.

Todays big challenge was bypassing Sydney in the dark and finding a caravan park to stay at. Research (and our Auto Club accomodation guide) told us there was a park at Wyong, so that is where we headed, only to find that like most parks in this part of the world, they only cater for permanent residents. No overnighters. So, tonight we are "camped" at the back of a service station by the freeway with a whole lot of trucks. We are not the only campers here. A new experience for us. A bit noisy, but we are comfortable and self sufficient in our van. One bonus is that the TV works well here.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0267s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb