Ulladulla NSW


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Ulladulla
March 24th 2023
Published: March 30th 2023
Edit Blog Post

The Ulladulla area is a seven-kilometre stretch of continuous urban residential development from the southern edge of Ulladulla, through the town of Mollymook, to Narrawallee in the north. We stayed in the Holiday Haven Ulladulla Caravan Park, which is perched on a headland overlooking Ulladulla harbour.

Our first port of call was to visit the harbour and swim in the ocean pool. We then drove to Warden Head lighthouse to take in the panoramic views up and down the coast. Mollymook beach was our favourite place for an ocean swim. There were also rock pools to snorkel in around the headland heading towards Collers Beach. The ocean temperature was still surprisingly warm.

We spent many hours walking around the many rock shelfs in the Ulladulla area looking for fossils. The Ulladulla rock shelves are famous for its Gondwana Fossil Tours, and we found evidence of crinoids, gastropods, molluscs and brachiopods embedded in the layers of rock. We visited the Old Pioneer Hut, an old slab timber hut in the centre of town, which was the first house in Ulladulla, and is now a fossil museum. I commented to the volunteer guide that the slab timber appeared to be red cedar, and he wasn’t sure. My research found that the town was established by red cedar cutters, so my guess was close to the mark.

The fish and chips from the Ulladulla Fishermans Co-Op were delicious, as was the coffee and slices from a Natural Food Cafe overlooking the harbour.

We had to drive to Lake Tabourie to meet South Coast Windscreens to repair a few chips in our windscreen, and on the way back, we called in at Dolphin Point. What a great place to visit, with the lake draining into the ocean via a fast flowing creek, and one to mark down for a future stay.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.567s; Tpl: 0.035s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.097s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb