Broulee NSW


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Broulee
April 3rd 2023
Published: April 8th 2023
Edit Blog Post

With our daughter having to travel to New Zealand for four days for work (so soon after her overseas work trip to Vienna), we offered to head back to the Central Coast to help out with shuffling the grandkids around to pre-school. school and work, and cooking some meals. It was good to reconnect with the family, and fortunately, we were able to alter our travel bookings. After a week helping out, we headed back down south via Kangaroo Valley, where we stopped off for morning tea. We then continued our journey to collect our caravan from Cambewarra (near Nowra), where Kim’s sister-in-law had kindly offered to store our van for the week, and then on to a small coastal village called Broulee.

We had never heard of Broulee, until we met up with some travellers from Molong where we were staying in Gerringong, who stated we need to stay there. We absolutely loved the Broulee Caravan Park, Broulee and the area.

The Broulee area was surveyed and gazetted in 1837, a town plan made by James Larmer in 1839, and land sales commenced in 1840. At that time a post office was opened with mail being delivered each week over the mountains from Braidwood. The first harbour in the area south of Batemans Bay was established at Broulee behind what is now known as the island. Although settlement had already commenced on the shores of the nearby Moruya River, it was not easily navigable due to a sandbar at its mouth. Broulee harbour was lost in 1873 as removal of vegetation for an access road on the land spit eroded the spit and isolated what is now known as Broulee Island. In the last decades of the twentieth century, the spit has reformed.

There are many beautiful beaches, bays, headlands and coves around Broulee, and we tried to explore them all, both on foot and underwater. Memorable places we explored included Broulee Island, Malua Bay, Rosedale, Guerilla Bay, Candlagan Creek, Mossy Point and Tomakin Cove. One of the highlights was to walk along Burrewarra Point headland, and watch the seals play in the water and bask on the rocks. We enjoyed snorkelling at Tomakin Cove and I even braved a snorkel at Shark Bay. On Burrewarra Headland was the remains of a WW2 Radar Installation, as an early warning station for incoming enemy planes and ships.

At Broulee there was a Thai/Lao Food Van called Two Sisters, and the food was so good, we bought dinner from there three nights.

We would definitely visit Broulee again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.28s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0792s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb