Moruya Heads NSW


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Moruya
April 10th 2023
Published: April 18th 2023
Edit Blog Post

The South Coast region of New South Wales is the traditional home of the Yuin people, and the name Moruya is derived from an aboriginal word believed to mean "home of the black swan”. European settlement commenced in the 1820s following the extension of the limits of location in 1829.

During World War 2, Moruya aerodrome was used as an advanced operational base. The trawler Dureenbee was attacked offshore between Moruya and Batemans Bay by a Japanese submarine on 3 August 1942. On 25 December 1944, the USS Robert J. Walker was torpedoed off Moruya by the German submarine U-862, sinking the next day between Moruya and Bega.

Moruya is known for its granite stone that was used to build significant Australian landmarks, including the Sydney Harbour Bridge. The granite used in the Harbour Bridge pylons was quarried in the area. The proximity of the quarries to the water meant it could be easily transported to Sydney.

After checking in at the Big 4 Moruya Heads Caravan Park, we set out to explore the local beaches. With no beaches really drawing us in for a swim, we decided to head back to Tomakin Cove and had a great snorkel, followed by walks at Guerilla Bay, Burrewarra Point, Baringa Beach and Mossy Point.

With the weather not looking so great for swimming, we decided to tackle the Bingi Dreaming Track, commencing at Congo and walking to Meringo. A few days later we walked from the other direction, commencing at Bingie Point and walking to Meringo. Traditionally, Dreaming Tracks link the places visited by aboriginal people. The Bingi Dreaming Track is 13.5 kms long, and links campsites, ceremonial and trade sites, fresh water and plentiful coastal food sources. In all, we walked two stages of the track, from Congo to Meringo. On the rock platform at Bingie Point are the remains of the boiler of the SS Monaro which was wrecked on Kelly's Point on 29 May 1879. It was an iron screw steamship, 521 tons, rigged as a two-masted schooner and all passengers and crew survived.

Whilst staying at Moruya Heads, we also visited the Riverside Markets in Moruya, drove into Batemans Bay and Batehaven, and enjoyed great fish and chips from the Boat Shed in Batemans Bay.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.415s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1319s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb