From Sydney to Kiama and Berrima


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
January 8th 2015
Published: June 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -33.8649, 151.207

We got away from the CBD just after 9am, and my good husband agreed that "on our way out" of the city, we could cross the Harbour Bridge to go to the Mary MacKillop Chapel at North Sydney. It was lovely - and, because it is a small world, we missed Zia Ginni by an hour or so, we found out later! We also found out that we missed the museum - next time!

We still hadn't eaten, and it was after 10am as we approached the airport (with a plane on the runway going over the road above us - cool!) and we lucked upon a nice cafe on the beach at Brighton Le Sands, allowing the kids to swim (great plane spotting from the water's edge!) after breakfast and whilst we enjoyed a coffee.

Then a spectacular drive (ok, not the bit through Sutherland Shire!) as we entered the Royal National Park - it is the 2nd oldest in the world and one of the largest. It was lovely, and simply stunning as we came out along the coast at Otford and Clifftown - the road goes out over the ocean, weaving its way down towards Wollongong. Perfect
Dachau Town MapDachau Town MapDachau Town Map

Red box outline the est size of the Town in the1930's to 1940's. Dachau-Ost is the location of the Concentration Camp
sunshine, amazing blue skies, and one happy family!

Lunch in the park at Kiama, and then hunting for the blowhole. The main Kiama blowhole wasn't working - the seas were far too calm - so we found the Little Blowhole, which was pumping. It must be so much smaller than the main one, judging by the safety barricades, but was still good.

We then took a very pretty drive up past Jamberoo to Jamberoo Mountain Road - stunning scenery. We found our cottage just out of Berrima and the kids were very excited to see bunnies on the road and in the fields. We were perhaps less excited as we realized that there were dozens of them, in plague proportions.... And there were kangaroos and wallabies in the fields.

Off to explore Berrima - extremely pretty, in the golden glow of sunset. The town was established in the Georgian era of the early 1800s and was planned to be a major regional centre. That lasted about 20 years (just long enough to build the town) but then the railway was diverted - the town remained a perfect little gem, with its inhabitants dwindling away. We had dinner at the longest continually licensed inn in Australia, in the shadow of a convict-built and still operating gaol, and watched the antics of the galahs in the tree above us, before returning home for more bunny-spotting from the back deck!


Additional photos below
Photos: 75, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Concentration Camp Front EntranceConcentration Camp Front Entrance
Concentration Camp Front Entrance

Over 206,000 people passed through these gates. Guard Watch Tower on top.


Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb