The Rocks & Circular Quay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
January 4th 2015
Published: June 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -33.8649, 151.207

What a huge day! According to my phone, we walked 14.68km today...and my feet think this is accurate!

We wanted to be "Sydney tourists" today, so that meant we walked the couple of blocks to Circular Quay and had breakfast at an expensive cafe on the waterfront. The kids were confused as the couldn't see a circle at the Quay - marks showing the natural shoreline demonstrated a semi circle a little better. Matthew was particularly impressed with the huge cruise boat in the harbour.

We then explored the Opera House including the Lego art installation and the sandpit and deck chairs for the summer promotion. We couldn't get inside, but peered in the windows and touched the roof tiles. A perfect blue blue day in Sydney - just magical!

Then across to The Rocks, where it was extremely hot - even the markets (which I love) didn't make the heat better. Icy lemonade did help, and sustained us for a short tour of the Rocks Discovery centre, which had a very good small museum.

We had hit upon the idea of a Tall Ship Harbour cruise, and spent some time making phone calls and enquiries only to discover that at this time of year, the short cruises that don't include a meal are booked out...
...and it was stinking hot, and we were tired - so our 22 degree apartment beckoned. Everyone lay down - and woke 2 hours later!

Some of the blue sky had turned to a threatening storm, so we walked down past Martin Place and the GPO to the QVB and then across to Darling Harbour. Sangria and beer at a cafe on the water was lovely. We then walked over to Chinatown to decide that we had Japanese last night and were not really feeling like Asian...so back to Darling Harbour where we couldn't really find something that we all wanted. We couldn't get in to a couple of places that we could all agree on...finally, we all sat down at an overpriced place where we were given a seat near the kitchen and the toilets with no view...decided that the meal was going to cost $250 for an ordinary dinner that we were all not happy about...so walked out. Our food court dinner was no better food, but about $200 cheaper!

A walk back from Darling Harbour to the hotel, and I remembered to move the car from under Australia Tower ($33 for 2 days but goes up to $84 per day tomorrow, so now we will park under our hotel for $60 per day!) can't believe that I couldn't get a street park at 10pm!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.183s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0564s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb