Day 7 Museum, bridge and Sydney's oldest pub


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
November 3rd 2013
Published: November 6th 2013
Edit Blog Post

BreakfastBreakfastBreakfast

Can't beat an American breakfast!
So Sunday. Bit of a lie in after the rugby before a stroll to get breakfast in The Rocks. Apparently that's what everyone in Sydney does on a Sunday! Absolutely packed. They have a market at the weekends so it was probably busier than it had been on the Friday night. After wandering we did find an American diner called 'pancakes on the rocks' (I know, there does seem to be a theme to restaurant naming). Good pancakes which set us up for the day.

I was ready for a bit of history so headed off to the Museum of Sydney. It is built on the grounds of the first Government house. There doesn't seem to be much of a sense of history to Sydney. Even here there was very little about how Sydney grew up. It covers the first fleet arriving in 1788 and then seems to jump to the harbour bridge in the 1930s. I was hoping it would cover more about the social history, how their society grew from the mixed types that lived there in the 1800s. But not easy to find. The exhibits that were there though were well constructed and interactive.

It appears that lots of buildings have been knocked to make room for roads/skyscrapers and the bridge etc throughout Sydney history. Definitely little remains of old buildings.

After a quick (soft) drink we decided it was time to walk across the bridge. We are still not sure whether to do the 'bridge walk' so thought we would do the free version across the bridge itself which may help us decide whether we wanted to climb up the arch. By now the wind had picked up so walking one way was much easier than walking back! They were still doing the climbs and I have to say I don't think I would have been keen in that gale!! I'm now thinking a helicopter view might be a better option.

Ian was now ready to try out 'The Lord Nelson'. Sydney's oldest pub and a microbrewery to boot. Two strong pints later (and a couple of fruit based drinks (wine) for the lady) we staggered back to our hotel. Well it was on an empty stomach after our breakfast, barring a pork pie which appears to be the equivalent to our picked eggs as a traditional bar snack.

That evening we tried out another of Sydney's oldest pub. This one is called 'The Fortune of War'. No microbrewery but live music.

And so back to pack ready for our trip to Uluru tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

What an attractive couple we are!What an attractive couple we are!
What an attractive couple we are!

Can't tell how windy it was.....


Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1198s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb