Day 6 Manly and the brides


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Manly
November 2nd 2013
Published: November 6th 2013
Edit Blog Post

So it's the end of our 'breakfast included option' for a while. Benefit is a leisurely start as Ian is not nagging about getting down to breakfast. Today we are visiting Manly beach so breakfast involved a Croissant and coffee while waiting for the ferry.

Ian had promised that this was the cheapest and easiest way to see the opera house from the water. Like the Staten Island ferry to see the Statue of Liberty. Which is probably true during the week but on a sunny Saturday???? So at the back of the queue, it meant an inside seat with no view at all. However by now there seemed to be a very heavy mist so couldn't even see the opera house or bridge from even 50 metres away. We found out on the news later that this was actually smoke from the blue mountains bush fires!!!!!

We arrived in Manly and headed straight for the beach. We hadn't come to sunbathe so sat there in our shorts amongst lots of beautiful people showing their beautiful bodies. No pics you will be glad to know.

After Ian trying the pacific (very cold) and me getting a bit broody playing with a very cute toddler as well as talking to her dad (very Scottish Australian) we went for a amble around the shore to Shelly beach where we stopped for lunch and a beer.

Then stroll back to the ferry. This time we made sure we got there as soon as the last one had left to be at the front of the queue. As it filled up it became a bit of a free for all at the gate. Luckily I managed to stop Ian flooring 5year olds in his panic to get a seat in the front outdoor bit. Embarrassing!

Still, we got good views through the smog..... We may need to redo when we go back later in the week. This time think we will take a leaf out of book of the people sitting on the front row- don't get off at Manly!

By now it was 4.45 and we headed off to the Botanic gardens and a visit to Mrs. Macquarie's chair. She was the governors wife who had a seat carved out of the cliff so she could enjoy the view. It took us a while to find it as
Manly beachManly beachManly beach

Kept all the beautiful bodies out of the pic. Apart from Ian that is!
pictures in the guide book gave the impression it looked over at the opera house. Actually it was around the other side of the point, no opera house in her day!

Ian promised this was a quick stroll as I was quite keen to get an early start in the bar and use the free wifi to publish my blog. However 2 hours later we were still wandering. Some of this was due to Ian's lack of understanding of my concept of a quick stroll but mostly was due to the brides.

There were brides everywhere in this park. We saw a full ceremony taking place on the lawn. Sure we will be in all the photos, as we walked past just as they said 'I do!' We saw brides having photos taken at the point. No guests in these cases just bride and groom and at least three photographers each! Must be an Aussie tradition?

By now I was beginning to flag, especially with a handbag full with too many guide books, we trekked wearily back to the hotel.

We had to forgo the leisurely cocktail as it was a quick turnaround before heading out
Water dragon Water dragon Water dragon

Seen on the walk to Shelly beach
to dinner at a restaurant called Fish on the Rocks. It was recommended by a friend and it was brilliant. No pictures as too busy enjoying the food. They allow you to do a meze for the starters so we picked four and shared. Lovely idea.

Back home to bed but alarm set so Ian could watch the rugby at 1.30am. It was England vs Australia so too good an opportunity as they were showing it live. I did try to sleep through but husband too excited at the England win so even a six foot bed didn't keep the cheering away from a slumbering wife.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

ProudProud
Proud

Look I got a seat on the front deck!
Bride and groom 2Bride and groom 2
Bride and groom 2

See what I mean!


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb