Day 8 - Alice Springs to Sydney


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
December 18th 2012
Published: December 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

What a PoserWhat a PoserWhat a Poser

Peacock at Crowne Plaza Hotel in Alice Springs
Up with the equivalent of the lark but much noisier. Looking out from the balcony we could see miles of nothing interspersed with gum trees. There is an aquifer under the whole area and there is never a water shortage in the area. So whilst the rest of the country is suffering from drought the inhabitants of AS are happily hosing down their drives. Local birds squawking away include green parrots which are native to the area. And yesterday we saw our first wild kangaroos which are small (about four feet tall). It is also the time of year that the mature cicadas shed their wings and eventually drop to the ground and die. Food for the birds and the ants. Whilst waiting to die they sing their last goodbyes. The cacophony is ear blasting. The hotel has a peacock living in its grounds. Whenever he spies a camera he displays his plumes and turns from one camera to another actually posing to have his photograph taken.

Today we flew from AS to Sydney. There were four planes on the tarmac. People were led to their appropriate zebra crossing to walk onto their plane. The planes are so small that they do not need help to back out from their parking space; they literally turn on a sixpence just missing the wings of the plane parked in the next bay.

Qantas had forgotten our kosher meals so it was a long, hungry day 😞

We arrived in Sydney as had our suitcases. We took a taxi to the Marriott at the Quay in preparation for the next real part of our adventure. The first thing I wanted to know was whether there were any kosher restaurants. There are some on Bondi beach and so off we went to Rose Bay for our first proper meal since Shabbat.

We will be at sea for about four days so we may be off line. To all our followers we should be back by Sunday. Enjoy the rest of the week.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0235s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb