Climbing to new heights in Sydney


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
February 2nd 2011
Published: February 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

The Bridge Climb!The Bridge Climb!The Bridge Climb!

Almost at the top
When you think of Sydney, the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge immediately spring to mind. These iconic works of architecture, positioned just across the harbour from each other, are as Australian as TimTams or Rolf Harris. So what better way for the three of us to view this amazing city together, than from the top of the wrought iron arch of the Harbour Bridge.

It was early on the morning of the seventeenth and we were sitting outside BridgeClimb's offices waiting for them to open. Located just around the corner from the cool area of 'The Rocks', we were reminded of the tasty brews we had sampled at Sydney's oldest (and quite possibly best) pub 'The Lord Nelson' last night. It had been a very nice evening with real ales and pub grub aplenty to warm our insides. But now the thoughts of vertiginous anxiety were beginning to fill my stomach with butterflies instead. I needn't have worried, once inside the building with my complimentary cap on I felt the excitement take over. A conveyer belt of smooth operating staff took us through a maze of rooms from which we emerged calm and composed, and clothed in attractive blue boiler-suits. The headset and safety chain dangling from our belts only enhanced the Startrek look. We were ready!

While Lewi teased our guide about the appalling Aussie ashes display we took tentative steps onto the mesh flooring of the first walkway. Dragging our chains beside us, we squeezed along the narrow platform until we reached the Pylon. For me that was the most difficult section, even though the height wasn't so great it was the fact that I could see through the seemingly thin mesh I was walking on, and the barrier beside me was just waist high. So, scary bit over, I could now look around and truly appreciate the fantastic views this Christmas Gift Experience (thanks Dad!) was providing.

We ascended a steep set of ladders and then we were on the arch itself, and a constant but gentle incline brought us to the summit, 150ft above sea level. The Opera House and the paths of Circular Quay were buzzing with tiny ant people and sailing vessels both small and gargantuan swarmed the waters beneath us. It was beautiful. Our guide told anecdotal stories, pointed out geographical sights and dropped factual and historic information into his commentary as we climbed. It was an amazing two hour round trip with stunning views on every horizon. We were lucky that some light cloud kept us in the shade, or the 1.6km walk would have been rather more tiring.

The harbour is the life force of Sydney, ferries ply it's choppy water dashing from one inlet to the next, barely noticing other boats in their path. Huge cruise ships wallow at anchor and speedboats wizz between the yachts. Having watched this complex dance from above it was now time to get in amongst it.

We caught one of the frequent Manly bound ferries grabbing a pew on deck, where we were perfectly positioned to stare up at the Harbour Bridge as we passed and say "woah...we were just up there!" It only took twenty five minutes for the captain of our ship to cut across the bays and tributaries of this magnificent harbour to the popular seaside suburb of Manly. Surprisingly he did this with only a couple of near collisions, but did scrape half the paint off the hull with mistimed docking, overall a successful crossing. We strolled the pleasant streets and promenade with an ice-cream in hand, choosing to watch the brave swimmers rather than join them in the chilly pacific on an overcast day like this.

Our day of walking wasn't finished yet. Back at Circular Quay once again we turned our attention to the Opera House and wove between it's sail-like segments admiring the mosaic walls. Sitting on the steps there you really got a sense of the city; set around it's harbour, skyscraper business's, thriving tourism, great culture and cuisine, and with pockets of greenery like the botanical gardens to take you back to nature.

We were thoroughly enjoying our walking tour of Sydney, but to save some energy in our legs for later we took the free bus back to our 'Posh Hotel'. After greeting Sergio the doorman we took the elevator to our room and relaxed a while.

Feeling suitably refreshed and with building appetites we set out for the evening. At the 'Moonlight Markets' we discovered a feast of multicultural fare, from Moroccan pitas to meatball sandwiches. We listened to a jazz trio while we munched and then proceeded to browse the arts and crafts for sale on adjoining stalls. To finish off an amazing and action packed day, there was no better place than 'The Lord Nelson' whose homely surrounds tempted us back for more specialty ales.

It was crazy to think that our Aussie road trip was done, we'd reached our destination. And even more sad to realize that Dads stint as a backpacker was almost over. We'd trekked in the Queensland rainforest, sailed and snorkelled in the Great Barrier Reef, driven almost 4000kms, climbed the Sydney Harbour Bridge, and as we sat on Bondi Beach the next morning, we really felt we'd done it all.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

A Cycle Tree...A Cycle Tree...
A Cycle Tree...

for you Dad


3rd February 2011

Wow you sydney posers!
I am glad I herad about this after the event! It sounds really good though and fantastic to do. Thankyou rob for the exoerience and all praise to you for doing it!m

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 25; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb