Sydney's Chinese Gardens


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
September 13th 2010
Published: September 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

the girl in redthe girl in redthe girl in red

I am not sure what the photo shoot was about but she did look lovely
If you need some relaxation and find yourself close by Sydney’s Darling Harbour, near the Entertainment Centre, I suggest you invest $6 for an entry ticket to the Chinese Gardens.

I was finding my way back toward home from an event in Darling Harbour and happened to pause outside the gardens. I realised I had not been inside this tranquil spot for a long time. So, I checked the entry times and found there was one hour until they were due to close, I decided to take a stroll around.

Once inside the gardens it is hard to imagine they are located in the midst of such a busy, bustling city. The self-guided tour brochure takes you wandering through features such as the “Water Pavilion of Lotus Fragrance”, with views across the “Lake of Brightness”. The “Pavilions Among Bamboo and Rock” have a circular “moongate” making you feel like you are within a secret garden inside the main gardens.

On top of the highest point in the gardens is a two-storey, hexagonal building “the Pavilion of Clear View”, know as “the Gurr”. The roof tiles and wood carvings were gifts from Guangdong. Another gift from Guangdong is the “Twin Pavilion” with the emblems of the state of New South Wales and that of Guangdong depicted in the wood carvings.

The gardens also have a tea-house and café where you can get items such as Chinese tea, dumplings, pastries and steamed buns (I love steamed buns). If you are feeling in a mood to get dressed up you can slip into a Ming or Ching dynasty silk gown for a few photos and to play Emperor or Empress for a short time. I would not be able to help imagining some Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon moves in those outfits and be disappointed I could not float above the tree tops.

The blurb in the tour brochure also tells visitors that the Garden is governed by the Taoist principals of Yin-Yang and the five elements - earth, fire, water, metal and wood. Apparently just one missing element would disrupt the garden’s harmony and balance.

There were some wedding rehearsals taking place as I wandered around, plus a photo shoot of an attractive lady in red. The seating in the pavilions would be a nice spot for some meditation and the gardens were not that crowded while I was there. Was the lack of a crowd good timing (just before closing) or just good luck?


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Chinese GardensChinese Gardens
Chinese Gardens

The Azaleas were so lovely


13th September 2010

it's amazing
wow, the place that you've explained at the article seem's like very wonderfull. and nice to hear about chinese place. because i love everything about chinese. in fact, China has a diverse culture and have transformed the entire country. but, just information. I get interesting info about the flight from Australia called Jetstar. This flight is very cheap with very good service. suitable for you who want to tour southeast asia or Australia. let's please see the website on Jetstar www.jetstarsearch.com. thx
14th September 2010

Didn't know there's one!
"I would not be able to help imagining some Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon moves in those outfits and be disappointed I could not float above the tree tops. " That made me laugh! but I would have felt the same way. :))

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb