Cheap food and stars


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
December 23rd 2009
Published: December 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After waiting for what seemed to be about 3 hrs for our laundry to be done we went to Paddy's Market (an indoor market on the doorstep of our hostel that runs Wed-Sun). Picked up some really cheap fruit and Rob got a new t-shirt to replace his grimey, pink one. We then walked over Sydney Bridge to Luna Park (a little fairground). This was a trek and after yesterday neither of us was very keen! The bridge was a good place to get some pics of the harbour though. On getting to the park we realised it was quite a rip off, $10 for one ride or $45 for as many as you want but there wasn't many good rides, they were mainly for kids. So we set off back towards the harbour in search of tea. We walked for what seemed like ages past posh bars and restaurants not wanting to spend a fortune. Then we landed a bargain, in one of the food courts they were closing up and one of the chinese food stalls was selling their left over grub- got 3 tubs of food for about $10! After a coke in Maccy D's we sat in Costa Coffee to pass some time before the observatory tour which wasn't till 20:00. Costa was the most christmassy place we've been in so far with xmas songs playing and snow effect decorations.

The observatory looked well cool at night especially as bats were circling it. We looked a Betelgeuse (a red giant star), the moon and another star through the telescope, then we went outside and looked at some of the constellations. We also watched a couple of 3D movies which were pretty naff. The tour guide knew her stuff though and it was quite interesting when she showed us how big the universe is and how small we are. We walked back taking pictures of the night skyline. Didn't get in till about 23:30 and considering we'd set off about 14:00 it seemed quite a loooong, knackering day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0333s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb