Australia at Last!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
December 28th 2005
Published: January 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Bondi Beach Xmas DayBondi Beach Xmas DayBondi Beach Xmas Day

This is where a lot of Aussies go on Xmas day.
We made it to Sydney from Hong Kong in one piece but it was the bumpiest flight we had been on so far!

Its quite a shock, money-wise, when going from SE Asia to Australia, especially with Christmas and New year as everywhere in Sydney is booked out. Luckily I booked our accommodation 6 months in advance. After 10 months I finally met up with my sister Adele who's also backpacking/working over here. We went first around Sydney seeing the Opera House, Harbour Bridge and went for a jet boat trip around the harbour. This was really fast and we got drenched but it was fun. I then got to see my first platypus at the Sydney aquarium.

Christmas day was spent doing the Aussie thing by going to Bondi Beach followed by a BBQ at my sisters. Although this was fun we did really miss having a proper Christmas dinner.
The blue mountains, just west of Sydney are another World Heritage area and indeed were very beautiful. The 'blue' is meant to come from the blue mist that sits on top form the eucalyptus trees. My sister just wanted to look around the shops though.

We visited
Jet Boat SoakingJet Boat SoakingJet Boat Soaking

This jet boat speeds around Sydney Harbour and generally gets you wet. You can see a bit of the Harbour bridge in the background.
Taronga Zoo which is just across the harbour. This is where we got to see our first Koala, Echidna and Wombat. We saw a little bit of a Tasmanian devil but he was sleeping in a corner.

The main reason for getting to Sydney at this time was to enjoy the new years fireworks. Many people began to wait for these early in the day however it was a really hot day and we weren't prepared to do that so we popped into an air conditioned museum nearby. On our way down to the harbour Jason managed to bump into someone he knew from Hendon! It really is a small world.

We eventually managed to get a spot right outside the Opera House and watched the best firework display we'd ever seen (for free!)

Being a nature nut I wanted to see some wild possums. There are loads of these in Hyde Park in central Sydney so I dragged Jason intop Hyde Park one night. We eventually found a couple of possums next to a tree. Jason went close to take photos whilst I slowly crept forward. Then suddenly the biggest spider I have ever seen in my life fell down from this tree. It's body was the size of a conker. I don't know what type it was as I didn't stay long enough to find out. I now avoid walking under trees at night!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Wild CockatoosWild Cockatoos
Wild Cockatoos

While we were having our 'Billy' tea in the blue mountains these nosey cokatoos kept us entertained.
Bush Possum in Sydney ParkBush Possum in Sydney Park
Bush Possum in Sydney Park

This is the tree that the huge spider dropped out of.
Taronga Zoo GiraffesTaronga Zoo Giraffes
Taronga Zoo Giraffes

Vicky, this ones for you.


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb