The start of Sydney...Down Under!!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
November 9th 2008
Published: March 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Next stop...Australia!! WOOHOO!!

Asia done and it's time for some adventures Down Under!!
First stop - Sydney!!

First impressions - AMAZING!!!
We are right in the heart of the city - skyscrapers, crazy amount of ppl, proper shops!!! woohoo!!
Checking into Wake Up hostel (we love you side bar!!!), we have a quick tour of the city and before we knew it we were right at the Sydney Harbour Bridge and Opera House! WOW! After seeing this on tv, we cant actually believe we are standing infront of it! Snapping away like the Japanese, we already know we are going to love this place!!

In true backpackers style, we head out on our first night with the girls from our room to the famous Side Bar! What a night!! Live music, beer and banter - we are right at home!!

The next few days consisted of getting our bearings (or picking up the kids as we liked to call it.....yeh we have finally lost it!!), exploring this amazin city, meeting some great people and well, partying a lot!!
The vibe here is brilliant, laid back city lifestyle!
We can get used to this!!

After a few days getting to know Sydney, it was time to go visit the lovely Samantha for a Polo tournament!!
Donning our "oh er matron" accents and we were ready to go!
Richmond is an hour and a half train journey from the city and my god what a change!
Enter Hicksville!!
Picking us up in her funky wee Jeep, Sam gave us a quick tour of the town - one street of shops, one pub, one supermarket!!
Now this is REAL oz - we are literally in the middle of nowhere and noone wears shoes!! Haha very strange!!!

The next couple of days we got to learn about the Polo world which consists of horses, food, beer, wine, more horses, more food, more beer, more wine....excellent!!
Was so lovely seeing a friendly face from home and catching up with the girly chat!!
A couple of lads Sam knew from back home, who were also living in Sydney, joined us and before we knew it there was a Scottish contingency in town running riot! A great couple of days of banter!!

The weekend over far too quickly and we head back to Sydney!
Deciding to see what Bondi Beach has to offer we check into a hostel beach side!
First impressions - is this Bondi!!!???!!
After seeing the stunning beaches in Thailand, we couldnt help but be disappointed in Bondi Beach - so much hype and well, its just a beach with crazy waves, freezin cold water and 40,000 people all showing off their tans!! hmmmm!
Great for surfers yes, but we have seen better!!

After a few days out in Bondi, we quickly realise we want to be back in the city and start to look for an apartment to stay.
Sydney is really expensive, even staying in hostels is costing us a small fortune so a place to crash for a while and have somewhere to hang our clothes truely is needed!! Devil backpack......
On a night out from our Bondi hostel we meet 2 lovely Irish girls (hi Sarah and Jen!!) who are also looking for a place to stay and before we knew it, wham bang thank you mam we have an apartment!! WOOOHOOO!!!

It's time to go back to the city.......


Lessons learned
*Taxi drivers seemingly think its your job to know exactly where you are going!
*Cheap beer really does taste like off sh*t
*Redneck ozzies dont wear shoes!!












Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb