Sydney NYE 2005


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
January 3rd 2006
Published: January 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Goodbye 2005Goodbye 2005Goodbye 2005

Cath and Lisa wearing their home made shirts waiting for the action to begin.
Sorry for the delays in getting our latest blogs posted but we have not had much luck. Either the site is down or the internet cafe doesn't allow uploading of pics.

New Year seems an age ago already, but we couldn't miss writing about it, as we spent New Years Eve and the few days after in an amazing apartment right on Milsons Point right next to the Sydney Harbour Bridge. We left Newcastle in a mighty rush and drove in convoy to Sydney, hurrying all the way to ensure we got to Milsons Point before they closed off the road at midday. All the girls had bought white vests and sewn on hearts to be in keeping with the theme for Sydney NYE 2005 - LOVE. We had great fun making lasagna for dinner and keeping cool in the air con apartment whilst all the boys were sent down to the waters edge to keep our place to watch the fireworks later. No booze was allowed to be brought in so there were lots of tricks going on to try and smuggle a few beers in here and there! Keith managed to get his whisky in by decanting some into a Lipton's Iced Tea bottle. It was a beautiful evening and we were treated to the most amazing fireworks display ever. The kiddies show was at 9pm and then the main show at midnight, so it was a double spectacular. The bridge was lit up with a big red heart at the end of it all. There were lots of oohs and aahs before we all left with the crowds and crashed in to bed.

New Years Day dawned very hot and windy, at 45 degrees Celsius! A huge group of us decided to head for the beach at Manly and managed to get there without wilting in the heat, to enjoy a cool swim. The sun was fierce and lots of coke and iced drinks were being consumed to keep us cool and help the hangovers. We squeezed in to whatever shade we could find and spent most o the time in the water. Back to the apartment at Milsons Point, we had take aways for dinner and prepared the straw hats for the boys to wear to the cricket the following day.

We entered the lottery and won 25 dollars, so Lisa promptly spent the
Ooooh....AhhhhhhOoooh....AhhhhhhOoooh....Ahhhhhh

We were treated to two very impressive fireworks displays.
winnings at the Christmas sales. All the Wilson girls, Cath and Lisa spent the day shopping at the Queen Victoria Building, a beautiful mall in the centre of town. The boys spent all day at the SCG watching the first day of the 3rd test between Australia and South Africa and finally returned at midnight. It was a good day out despite being drenched in the morning.

It was really sad saying goodbye to the Wilsons and Cath and Alun on the 3rd, as we had so enjoyed being with them all. We couldn't resist spending the rest of the day at the beach, so dumped our bags and went back to Manly. The weather was beautiful and we relaxed on the beach before catching a train south to Oyster Bay to spend the night with Peter Fitzgibbon (an old workmate of Keith's) his wife Anya and their cute little boy Sam. We were treated to a great BBQ on their deck and the next day took a drive to the? National Reserve for a walk.

We loved our time spent in Oz and couldn't believe we had been there 2 months. Thanks to the kindness and hospitality
Cold day at the SCGCold day at the SCGCold day at the SCG

A good day was had by all. Pity SA managed to lose the game in the end.
of friends and family we were able to spend all our time travelling and managed to escape having to work! It was great to see so many different parts of the country, even though we know there is still so much more to see and experience. The Australians were really friendly and the beaches were great. We had awesome weather for most of our trip so were very lucky.

On to the plane once again and we were heading to New Zealand - first stop Auckland... blog to follow...





Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Merry cricket supportersMerry cricket supporters
Merry cricket supporters

Thanks to the girls for their efforts in making the hats. They kept the rain out of our eyes!
Beautiful day on Manly BeachBeautiful day on Manly Beach
Beautiful day on Manly Beach

We killed some time here before heading to Oyster Bay to meet Peter Fitzgibbon and his family.
Peter, Anja and SamPeter, Anja and Sam
Peter, Anja and Sam

We had a lovely meal at the Fitzgibbon's and then visited the Royal National Park the following day.


Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0168s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb