Day 5 - Sydney


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
November 7th 2008
Published: November 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Taronga ZooTaronga ZooTaronga Zoo

In the aboriginal language, "taronga" means "water views" and the zoo definitely lives up to its name. The zoo opened in October 1916. It's divided into eight zoogeographic areas, is home to 2600 animals on 21 hectares making it one of the largest of its kind.
As you noticed, we decided to splurge and purchased the hotel's "high-speed" internet connection for 24 hrs so that we could bring our blog up to date. After spending a good part of the morning doing this, we set out for Taronga Zoo. The zoo is a short 10 min ferry crossing from Circular Quay (which is a block from our hotel.)

It's a beautiful zoo, built in part on the side of the cliff overlooking Sydney Harbour with views of the city skyline in the background. While about a half dozen animals were excused while their habitats were being renovated, we were glad to see the token kangaroos (affectionately called 'roos by the locals) and the cuddly koala bears. The snow leopards, tigers, fennec foxes and other cute, fuzzy, native nocturnal animals made us feel like we were on the set of Madagascar, the movie. As you can see, we also auditioned as extras in the upcoming sequel... I hope we get called back!

After getting back to the hotel, Frank updated the blog while Kip ventured out to The Rocks where a shop and block party was going on.

Tomorrow, we board Great Southern Railway's Indian
Don't you just wanna snuggle him?!Don't you just wanna snuggle him?!Don't you just wanna snuggle him?!

He's cute enough to take home to mom!! I think most would agree that Frank is a fox!
Pacific Transcontinental Train to Perth. So if we haven't broken down in the middle of the desert then we hope to have a new blog posting up in a few days. If you don't hear from us by next Thursday, send out a search party!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

MY what big ears you have!MY what big ears you have!
MY what big ears you have!

Kip trying out for his role in the upcoming sequel of Madagascar. The scene that Kip is auditioning for is titled "Muskrat Love" but the director wouldn't go into specifics...
Taronga ZooTaronga Zoo
Taronga Zoo

Check out the view these mountain goats have.
Kuddly KoalaKuddly Koala
Kuddly Koala

The zoo currently has 26 koalas, six of them are newborns in the last eight months. Here is mom and her 7 month old. They spend 4 hours eating eucalyptus leaves and 20 hours sleeping it off... where do I sign up?!
Frank and the 'RoosFrank and the 'Roos
Frank and the 'Roos

We saw about two dozen kangaroos and wallabies (small kangaroos.) Not one of them jumped, pounced, hopped or even twitched a muscle; I think they've been snacking on eucalyptus leaves too.
The Rocks - The Markets by Moonlight block partyThe Rocks - The Markets by Moonlight block party
The Rocks - The Markets by Moonlight block party

Kip went shopping...and enjoyed a few sips of free wine!


7th November 2008

Sydney Zoo
Speak of the devil did you see "Monifa" the baby pygmy hippo? So cute. Frank- the baby hippo is as small as a puppy, maybe Darcie would like one! Did you see any Tasmanian Devils? I do not know if Kip is a devil but I know Frank is (in a good way of course).
8th November 2008

adorable
but i'm afraid you have competition. the wash post reported yesterday as follows: Nov. 7: "Monifa," a three-week-old baby pygmy hippopotamus, enjoys a warm bath in her enclosure at Sydney's Taronga Zoo. Monifa means "I am lucky" in Nigerian. did you see her? are you bringing her home?
8th November 2008

I sure am enjoying this. I know you're taking lots of pictures! Have fun on the train and update immediately...or when you have an opportunity. Manly Police Station, I can see that blown up in someone's home.
8th November 2008

Soooo Jealous!
It looks like yall are having a great time! I love the matching outfits you're wearing for the bridge climbing! Sydney is BEAUTIFUL at night... and during the day for that matter! Kip, you must have been in heaven in that Apple store! I love you very much... hope you continue to have an EXCELLENT adventure!

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0243s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb