I'll be back....!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
October 25th 2005
Published: October 25th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Greetings to what will be my last travel blog entry, yes I know its sad we had this conversation last time. lol

Flew back to where it all began 3 months ago, sydney, on Saturday from the smallest international airport Ive ever seem: Christchurch. There were approximately 2 flights leaving for the whole afternoon and they were both to Sydney. Back in the same hostel I was in when I first arrived, the lovely YHA Railway Square and this time my room has ensuite shared between 8 of us in the room. I suppose this is the closest Ill ever get to feeling what it was like to like in the slums of Stafford sharing one toilet between 50 (or is that a slight exaggeration?!)

First day I went back to Manly, which is a lovely little town about 30 mins by ferry. Bit busier than I remember but it prob because the weather is a little bit hotter than before. Its about 26 degrees the weather report said. Bit of a short from coming from Christchurch which was 14 degrees at its hottest. Needless to say I was sweating like a very sweaty betty when I got off the plane. Wasnt helped by the fact that was wearing a fleece and a raincoat. Now in T-Shirt and skirts and topping up the tan that was lost in NZ. I still have tan marks from Alice Springs (2 months ago) on my feet and arms. Its a really nice sight when wearing singlets. Going have to get me some fake tan lotion!

Yesterday I went to the slums of Sydney. First stop was Kings Cross which I got a glimpse of on Sat when the shuttle driver took me on a v big detour from the airport. The only thing that I know about Kings Cross is that it is where a film starring a certain Mr Heath Ledger was based. It was about a bouncer of a strip club. Saw some prossies on Sunday night looked off their faces. Not a lot in Kings Cross apart from a nasty smell. Moved on to Paddington where Oxford Street isnt like one bit of the real one. Lots of 'Adult Book Exchanges'. That took me about 1 hour to go around those dives so I moved on to Bondi. I had heard it wasnt that nice but I thought hey its not going to cost me anything as it was included in my travel card. Bondi Junction is OK theres a v posh shopping centre, the largest Ive seen (Aus and NZ dont really do malls but instead long roads with shops). Got the bus to the beach and had fun walking the length of it slapping flies away from me. Lots of surfers including one who got mobbed by some Japanese tourists asking for a picture. Never seen such a bemused look on a person.
Not a lot to Bondi Beach street, the surf labels are there and a few cafes. Lots of English backpackers who look hung over.
To round off yesterday I watched Neighbours, the last Aussie episode I will ever see. *sniff. And it finished on a real cliff hanger. The Neighbours all go to Tassie for the casino to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Lassidester. But wait someone has planted a bomb underneath it with a photo of Paul and Izzy on it. And then Izzy gets a letter who she thinks is from Paul but it reads 'Think about what you've done...' or something like that. And then the camera cuts to the bomb and it reads 10 mins and then the credits roll ARGH!! I know who dies as I was informed on my lovely Neighbours tour. My moneys on Gus and that he didnt really die in the fire. Now got to wait 2 months for the BBC to show it. Also another bit of Neighbours trivia for you - the woman who plays Izzy is part of a group called the Rouge traders who had a massive hit called 'Voodoo child' that is played constantly on radio. Didnt know it was her until this morning when I heard an interview with the band on the Syndey radio and she appeared at the ARIAS (Oz's version of the Brits). She managing to juggle the acting and singing. Oh nearly forgot - Dr Karl is returning to the UK after his very successful uni tour to do some more gigs which will be held in Walkabout Bars across the country. Hands up who's coming with me... OK fine I'll go on my own then. Back to the ARIAs got a bit argumentative with a girl over them (you Karen argumentative, never!). She criticise a singer because 'he is too happy, smiling too much and has too many bright things on the stage' whilst he was performing. Me, an English bloke and a Dutch booke nearly smacked her. She then kept laughing hysterically as though it was the funniest thing she had ever seen. I then asked if she preferred music to slit her wrists to (a bit more dark and depressing). After about another 10 minutes of argument she realised that she wasnt going to win and apologised. Havent had an argument or heated disagreement with anyone for 3 months so good to get it out of my system, lol!

Back to more happier events. Today, on my last full day. I spent a very nice 29 degrees morning and afternoon around Darling Harbour. Went to the aquarium which was pretty cool. I would recommend not going if you cant handle school groups who are hyperactive. There were 6 different groups going around when I was there. Whats also pretty good is that you can take photos as the fish aren't epileptic like the ones in other aquariums, namely the worse one in the world in Christchurch. Then went to the martime museum where I spent the remainder of the morning/afternoon. Didnt spend much time inside but on the ships around it. They have the James Craig, a steel hulled sailing ship that was built in Sunderland. An old Australian destroyer that was decommissed in 1986 and a submarine, very clastrophobic! Had a wicked guide for the destroyer who didnt really like the navy and their political correctness. Had a Swiss couple with me and the husband was translating every 5 seconds very loud. What is it with the Swiss and the volume of their voice?

Then it decided to throw it down with rain but it was too hot to put on my rain coat so I got very very wet. Had a look around an area called The Rocks (cos it's built on rock, durh). It used to be where the drunken sailors went in olden times and got v v v drunk and rowdy. Apparently the area is still known for this behaviour and you can find most of Sydney's police force down there on a Fri or Sat night.
Came back to the Opera house and watched the sunset behind the harbour bridge. Some wonderful colours in the sky, blue, purple, pink and orange. Also green from the seagull that shat on my back, nice! It is my favourite spot in Aus, the tourists start to come out after the sun has gone down to look at the lights which is very good as well. Then went to a restaurant to treat myself to a nice meal as I think I have deserved it and my next couple of meals will be whatever Qantas and BA serve to me, not thrown as in business class they actually treat you like you're not a pleb. Just back off to the hostel for my last night on top of a bunk. Trying to climb up the ladder is really fun in a skirt.

Managed to be offended by a girl here who said and I quote "You have a twang of Northern in your voice". After I had stopped sobbing and wailing I explained that it wasnt my fault that Aston Uni let in people from the land North of London. Will have to go back to those elocution lessons again!

So final thoughts which might turn philiosiphical: Had an excellent time during the past 3 months. They've absolutely flown by (which is what happens when you enjoy yourself). Im so gald I came and dont regret it for one moment. Didnt manage to find myself until the last bit (turns out I was in lost property). Met loadsa wick' people from all over the world who all have similar outlooks to me and its been cool finding out everyones reasons for doing it. Australia is a wicked place and Im so going to be coming back, maybe to live or work for a few years after Ive qualified. The people are brilliant and friendly and I've come out of my shell a little, by striking up conversations with complete strangers or people in shops. Like today I was getting some more CDs and started talking to the bloke about different types of music and the CDs I was buying.
Had moments in Sydney these last few days where I wondered what would happen if I didnt get back on that plane and why I am leaving this place I have come to love. But I suppose I have to face my responsibilities like working etc. Going to go to a Australia job exhibition at the weekend to see how I go about coming back. Let Surrey pay for my training and then I'll bugger off to come back here. Sounds like a plan! In the words of the Terminator

I will be back...



So farewell to this blog and I hope to see you all soon and bore you senseless with the many many photo CDs I have. Hoepfully this blog and trip have been an inspiration to you and I highly recommend coming to Australia and/or other places in the world. Its a big place outhere and with so much to see and experience. Done and seen things that have been stuck up on my wall for the past 3 years. Its been great experiencing my dreams and challenging myself physically and mentally. Im never gong to forget this and I now that I can do it and has given me the confidence to go to other places.

Karen

Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0466s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb