Taronga Zoo


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
December 7th 2007
Published: December 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Harbour Bridge Harbour Bridge Harbour Bridge

View from Circular Quay
Woke up early this morning. Had breakfast and went straight to the gym. I know, I’m supposed to be on a holiday. They have Fitness First Platinum near Circular Quay and that’s a bonus. I don’t want to waste monthly payment of my membership and not going to any. It is quite a massive & modern gym. Four times the size of Fitness First Platinum in Jersey!

Anyway, after spending like 2hrs at the gym and feeling afresh, I headed straight to the Circular Quay Ferry Terminal to catch a ferry to Taronga Zoo. I bought the Zoo package which includes the zoo ticket and the ferry transfer (AUD $44).

Taronga Zoo was the highlight of the day. “Can’t wait to see my friends” as Julian might say. The ferry transfer only took 15 minutes. Then we took the cable car up to the zoo entrance from the terminal. Taronga Zoo is massive, with lots of animals from different continents and not forgetting lots of Aussie creatures. The best part was the Wild Australia section, with a wide range of exotics and native Australian animals. Unfortunately, some of the animal shows were cancelled due to venue refurbishment.

The weather was really great, not a single cloud in the sky. Nice & warm! Since it was midday, most of the animals were either asleep, eating or in hiding. Well, half of them were asleep anyway. Wombats, koalas, kangaroos, wallabies, mirkats, red pandas, lions & orangutans were having their midday snooze! But it was fun seeing them curling up, looking nice & snug, like there’s no tomorrow! Spent 3 hours at the zoo and it really made my day.

Then I went to the Museum of Sydney which is just around the corner from Circular Quay station. The museum stands on one of the most historic spots in Sydney, site of the first Government House, built in 1788, home to the first 9 governors of NSW. The museum is on 3 floors and tells you about, err, the history of Sydney basically.

Luckily, I caught the train back to the Central Station as it started to rain quite heavily.



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Nice weatherNice weather
Nice weather

Sunny weather in Sydney!
trying to be arty...trying to be arty...
trying to be arty...

The Bridge again
City of SydneyCity of Sydney
City of Sydney

View from the ferry
Opera HouseOpera House
Opera House

yet again
eugh!eugh!
eugh!

A blister on my right foot, after days of walking in my flip-flops
Taronga ZooTaronga Zoo
Taronga Zoo

Welcome to the zoo!
Cable cars...Cable cars...
Cable cars...

...on the way up to the zoo entrance
Posing for the cameraPosing for the camera
Posing for the camera

the two wallabies behind me I mean
Hello laydeez!Hello laydeez!
Hello laydeez!

An alpha male kangaroo ready for the occasion
Sleepy headSleepy head
Sleepy head

A binturong having an afternoon snooze
Zzzz...Zzzz...
Zzzz...

three lions fast asleep
Sydney City Centre Sydney City Centre
Sydney City Centre

You could just see the bridge and the opera house behind me
So cute!So cute!
So cute!

I want one of those!!!


7th December 2007

Zoo looks good
Wow you had a busy day then! Take it you saw all your friends at the zoo! Any spiders and snakes? Did you see the kimodo dragon or has he been moved I wonder? Good view of the city from the ferry to the zoo too as you get to see a different angle. Weather looks nice. Wet and very windy in the UK at the moment. Keep up the blogs.

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0301s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb