Heading into the City


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
July 22nd 2007
Published: July 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Rocky'sRocky'sRocky's

In Port Macquarie overlooking the surf spot.
After Port Macquarie, where we last left you, we drove all the way into Sydney. We did this because after checking out the few towns in between, none were of much interest to us. Little did we know that Sydney would be the ultimate driving nightmare in our failing van, especially at night. The first night, after hours of being lost, were spent camping on the streets of Manly Beach. This would be the equivalent to sleeping in the streets of downtown La Jolla.

The following day we went to the Koala sanctuary where we finally were able to pet Koalas and teach the cockatoos curse words. The next few days were spent getting lost in the city and racking up unwanted toll charges. Finally the day came to drop off our van and let us tell you, we were excited to get rid of it. We ended up selling the little camping gear we had in order to gorge our starving bodies on McDonald's and put a little gas in the tank of the van. After dropping off our van we headed to our pre-booked hostel in King's Cross. While on the train we happened a lady happened
Finally...Finally...Finally...

Finally touching a koala in Sydney.
to ask us where we were trying to get to. When we told her, her response was, "King's Cross...ummm well just try not to get into any trouble." It just kept echoing in our ears. King's Cross is Sydney's red light district and it is overrun with strip clubs, drug addicts, night clubs and stories for the travel blog haha.

We spent the next few days walking around Sydney checking out the opera house, the harbor bridge, bondi beach and the fish market. Since this was a trip of new adventures we figured we would try some new foods. We sampled raw oysters, had baby octopus and picked at some other random sea creatures. The nights were spent exploring the streets of King's Cross and meeting up with our doctor's daughter, Michelle, who happened to be studying in Sydney.

Our final night in Sydney we decided to go out with our hostel. In hindsight this was a horrible decision because the club had specials on champagne and free vodka red bulls. A word of advice: It's not cool to drink the night before you fly. Everything was an effort for us. From just waking up to hauling our
Say Hello to my Little FriendSay Hello to my Little FriendSay Hello to my Little Friend

I think this guy is used to pictures because he is actually smiling.
bags and surfboards around to running through the airport in time for final boarding. We did make it on the plane, however, we were one fof the last people on and were seated in the second to last row. We sat there for a second feeling terrible and then just racked out. Five hours later we arrived on the west coast of Australia in Perth. After recovering, we have spent most of our time here just relaxing and really not doing much of anything. We leave for Bali tomorrow and couldn't be more excited to have some summer weather. Well, that is about it for now, but we'll talk to you soon. Later!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Opera HouseOpera House
Opera House

Ryan had to run wind sprints to get this picture.
Aerial ShotAerial Shot
Aerial Shot

A shot from the Harbor Bridge, maybe postcard material?
Tossin' Back a FewTossin' Back a Few
Tossin' Back a Few

A night out on the town with Michelle.
Cheers!Cheers!
Cheers!

Trying raw oysters...quite tasty


24th July 2007

You pet a Koala!!!!
Man I thought you couldn't pet Koala's! Like they were too vicious or something when you got close. Thats awesome. I like how you throw in the random pic with the girl, just to assure everyone that you guys are still cool.
26th July 2007

How cool!!
Hey guys - Reading about your trip is so much fun, and I love that you sometimes "equate" things - like sleeping on a street in La Jolla. It helps non-travelers like myself put some perspective on what you guys are living. Love the pics - you guys look happy, healthy and carefree - exactly the way it should be! Enjoy it and keep up the blog - I love it! PS - Ryan - we miss you here!

Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0198s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb