Sydney & Queensland


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
April 25th 2007
Published: April 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sydney Opera HouseSydney Opera HouseSydney Opera House

Iconic image overlooking the beautiful harbour.
We're safely back in the UK after our amazing trip, but have some catching up to do. So, here are some photos from the remainder of our time in Australia.

Sydney is a truly fantastic city. It is centered round the beautiful harbour with the iconic images of the Opera House & Harbour Bridge, but has easy access to the ocean beaches, a vibrant night life and is only a short drive away from the mountains as well. We stayed at Simon & Kirrily's new house, in the suburb of Maroubra, only about 30 minutes from the centre and home of the infamous Bra Boys surf gang (see the movie if you can!)

We explored the city, particularly enjoying the Botanical Gardens (despite the thousands of fruit bats hanging in the trees!), the Fish Market and a walk over the Bridge. We took the ferry across the harbour to one of the famous northern beaches at Manley, on a beautiful sunny afternoon. Richard had time to stop into his company's local office and catch up on the gossip with a couple of colleagues, and we were able to meet and have dinner with his cousins Steven & Doreen. We also explored
Manly BeachManly BeachManly Beach

Reached by a 1/2 hour ferry ride across the harbour, Manly is the most accessible of Sydney's northern beaches. We were lucky to see it on such a beautiful day.
the beaches at Maroubra, Coogee and Bondi with Simon & Kirrily.

We took a day trip out to the Blue Mountains, about 1.5 hours west of Sydney. It's amazing how the land suddenly falls off into a valley of rainforest. After a couple of short hikes, we took the "world's steepest railway" down into the valley, and a cable car back up.

It was sad leaving Sydney and our friends. It was particularly hard getting up at 5:15am for a flight up the coast to Cairns! We stayed outside Cairns in Port Douglas (a favourite locale of the Clintons, allegedly!) We swam at the Port Douglas beach (inside the net which protects swimmers from deadly stinging box jellyfish), which had the warmest seawater we've ever felt - like getting into the bath. The highlight though was our day trip out to the Great Barrier Reef, where we spent several hours snorkelling. It is as stunning as the nature documentaries make out, with brightly coloured fish swimming amongst the coral. The pictures don't do it justice, as the seawater filters out much of the colour, but the day was incredible.

Our other activity in Cairns was cane toad racing at
Sydney HarbourSydney HarbourSydney Harbour

Sharon on the waterfront, with the Opera House as a backdrop.
a local pub, the Iron Bar, with a real showman as ringmaster. Richard's ticket came up, so he was able to participate in the racing, although his toad was useless and came 5th out of 6!

From Port Douglas, we went north to Cape Tribulation, home to some of the oldest rainforest in the world. We stayed at a beautiful peaceful B&B, with views over the forest and hills. The area is home to all sorts of interesting wildlife, including a wide variety of birds (we didn't get to see the primitive cassowary), huge spiders, lizards and bandicoots. We took hikes in the jungle, tasted the famous and uniquely flavoured ice cream at the Daintree Ice Cream Company, went on an unsuccessful crocodile spotting tour and tried local delicacies including kangaroo.

We drove back from Cape Tribulation through tsunami warnings and via the Atherton Tablelands, where the rainforest meets the outback, seeing the famous curtain fig tree, before flying back from Cairns to Sydney.

We had a final evening with Simon, before moving on to Hong Kong & China, and the last leg of our trip.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Swimming pool at CoogeeSwimming pool at Coogee
Swimming pool at Coogee

The open air seawater pool at Coogee Beach, where we spent a lovely Saturday with Simon & Kirrily & some friends.
Queen Victoria Hall, SydneyQueen Victoria Hall, Sydney
Queen Victoria Hall, Sydney

An old colonial building, now converted into an upscale shopping mall. It contains one of the most interesting clocks we've ever seen.
Sydney Fish MarketSydney Fish Market
Sydney Fish Market

More fish than you can shake a stick at!
Sydney Harbour BridgeSydney Harbour Bridge
Sydney Harbour Bridge

The old coathanger, as it's known locally.
The Rocks, SydneyThe Rocks, Sydney
The Rocks, Sydney

An old warehouse district, which now contains trendy shops & restaurants, underneath the bridge.
Sydney HarbourSydney Harbour
Sydney Harbour

The view from the bridge down to the Opera House and Financial District.
The Three Sisters, NSWThe Three Sisters, NSW
The Three Sisters, NSW

A rock formation in the Blue Mountains, west of Sydney.
Blue Mountains, NSWBlue Mountains, NSW
Blue Mountains, NSW

The view across the Blue Mountains near Katoomba.
Cane Toad RacingCane Toad Racing
Cane Toad Racing

Richard's number was drawn, so he got to participate in a cane toad race in Port Douglas, Queensland. Just pick up your toad, kiss him and drop him in the bucket. Unfortunately, his toad was a dud, and he came next to last.
Snorkelling at the Great Barrier ReefSnorkelling at the Great Barrier Reef
Snorkelling at the Great Barrier Reef

We took a day trip to the Reef from Port Douglas. Everyone wore full lycra bodysuits to protect from stinging jellyfish.
Great Barrier Reef coralsGreat Barrier Reef corals
Great Barrier Reef corals

We saw many different types of corals and multitudes of brightly coloured fish. The seawater filters our much of the colour, so photography was difficult, and hence the blue-green tinge to the pics.
James Bond, eat your heart outJames Bond, eat your heart out
James Bond, eat your heart out

Now, where's my speargun?
YikesYikes
Yikes

Vinegar for treating jellyfish stings, but look carefully for what awaits the unsuspecting swimmer who has just been stung.
Cape Tribulation, QueenslandCape Tribulation, Queensland
Cape Tribulation, Queensland

Where the rainforest meets the reef, at least according to the local marketing tag-line!
Double yikes!Double yikes!
Double yikes!

You don't get lizards like this in the UK or US! We disturbed a 4 foot long Monitor in the rainforest, which then scuttled off and climbed up the nearest tree.
Cape TribulationCape Tribulation
Cape Tribulation

The view from our lovely B&B.


Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb