Visitors from Japan; thanks to Emperor Akihito!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
May 2nd 2019
Published: May 20th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Thanks to the abdication of the Japanese Emperor Akihito - in whose honour a ten day holiday was announced - our darling son Ross and daughter-in-law Natsumi decided to spend their holiday with us. What a treat!! Kev had met Natsumi last year when he flew to Japan to attend a Motor Bike GP rally with Ross and a couple of Ross' mates but for me this was my first meeting.

Luckily for us we didn't have to arrive at Sydney International Airport too early with the plane due to land at 8.30am. It was a great pleasure to meet Natsumi and re-connect with Ross on what was his 43rd birthday. At Ross' request we had a low key BBQ with just the four of us and a few kookaburras who decided that the meat on our plates was just what they wanted. It turned out easier to offer them some meat a little way from the table rather than have them swoop in and try to grab what they wanted! This was all quite a novelty for Natsumi on what was her first visit to Australia.

But before the birthday BBQ and cake Kev and I were the lucky recipients of some pressies the most exciting of which was a kimono each which Natsumi helped to dress us in. Mind you I'm not really sure where we're going to wear them. Maybe they call for a 'dress-up' party!

The following day it was Anzac Day and all that that entails; Kev going to the march and then meeting up later with Ross, Natsumi and a few others. Ross and Natsumi also did their own thing, meeting up with quite a few of Ross' friends as well as visiting various tourist haunts.

But there were quite a few adventures Kev and I enjoyed with Ross and Natsumi. Meeting up Geoff and Anne at Barangaroo for a delicious meal on what was a gorgeous autumn evening in Sydney; driving to the Blue Mountains visiting the Three Sisters, the Steepest Railway in the World (once used to bring coal up from the valley) the Cablecar and other tourist spots before heading to Medlow Baths and the Hydro Majestic for a beautiful afternoon tea which was something of a novelty for Natsumi since they don't do afternoon teas in Japan. Before leaving the Blue Mountains we called in to see
Michelle & Kevin becoming JapaneseMichelle & Kevin becoming JapaneseMichelle & Kevin becoming Japanese

Thanks for the lovely pressies Natsumi!
Mary as it's a while since she's seen Ross and of course, she had the pleasure of meeting Natsumi. And before we saw them off to Melbourne for their last weekend in Australia we all met Marian, Juan David and Sienna at North Sydney for dinner.

During their time in Australia Ross and Natsumi spent time with us plus with some of Ross' friends. And, as usual it was a sad day when we had to say goodbye but we're so lucky that international travel is so easy and we are all able to do it. The good news is that they'll be back in February to attend a friends wedding and to help us celebrte Kev's 75th Birthday.

Like his mum, Ross is a 'snappy tom' with the camera so some of the photos I've included here Ross took. But believe me there are lots more in the family album!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Ross, Kev, Anne, Geoff, Natsumi & MichelleRoss, Kev, Anne, Geoff, Natsumi & Michelle
Ross, Kev, Anne, Geoff, Natsumi & Michelle

Leaving Muum Maam, Barangaroo after a delicious meal


22nd May 2019

Good to see you both enjoying time with the family. Great to see the kookaburras at the bbq. Just got home from Brisbane. Very tired but the sun is shining and it's warm!
22nd May 2019

Visitors from Japan
Lovely to hear from you and that you're safely back home after visiting this part of the world. I'm looking forward to seeing you and Val in York in a couple of months. xx

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb