Australia Day


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » The Rocks
January 26th 2012
Published: February 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Jo started the day off with an early trip to the hairdressers while the rest of us woke up at a more leisurely pace! Ben and Beck arrived just as Jo got back which was perfect timing. As the weather was being less than predictable and the forecast was for rain we diverted away from the original plan of going to Hyde Park and walked down to the Rocks to celebrate Australia Day.

After a quick meatball wrap from the market on Argyle Street we had our first drink in the Argyle. We then moved onto the Orient Hotel where they had a live band playing well known music from across the country (if you're Australian!) playing, and there were many locals dancing in what I can only assume is a national dance, or they were drunk without any coordination!! At this point we were joined by Wendy & Kim (who we met on the Whitsundays trip) and some more of Ben’s friends.

Following a couple of rain showers we split off from the Australian contingency to meet up with Anthea and Dave at the Mercantile Hotel, to say our fairwells as we won’t see them till were back in the UK. After Kim made friends with a few of the locals, and Will demonstrated how Brits deal with the heat as the weather took a turn for the better, we headed back to the Argyle to meet the others and continue celebrating.

Soon after meeting the others hunger set in and Jo devoured a hot dog to prepare for the evening of drinking ahead of us! Quite quickly after moving inside shots started to appear and Kim’s dancing with the giant Australian hand was introduced to some more random Australian’s in the bar.

Everyone decided it was time to change venue, so lacking any better ideas we all headed for the 3 Wise Monkeys on George St, which was conveniently close to the apartment for us. With a band playing, the drink continued to flow until Wendy & Kim had to say their goodbye’s and Will started to seem a little too drunk to be out in public, so the curtains came down on our Australia Day celebrations with a quick detour to Hungry Jacks on the way home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Will got hot...Will got hot...
Will got hot...

... and rolled up his jeans - stylish!


Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 13; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0742s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb