Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Surrey Hills
December 3rd 2011
Published: December 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

So landed in Sydney after a 4 hours flight on quantas with very old air stewards! I got myself to the Big Hostel in Surry Hills, ad first impressions was very friendly staff and having landed in room 101, i already met some lovely people who suggested i go up to the roof terrace for a drink. Having left my stuff and made up my top bunk bed, i went up the fire escape stairs to the roof, only to find that there was no proper bar, but yes a fridge full of beers. So i spent a few hours up there meeting more people from all over, spain, france, brazil, germany, not forgetting the crazy irish and enjoyed a few tooeys!

I had four days in Sydney so i ventured out on my little walking tours of the city the next day, the sun was shinning and the walk down Elizabeth st, past hyde park and through the royal botanical gardens was amazing, or awesome should i say! This is where i caught my first glimpse of the harbour bridge and ofcourse the opera house. A beautiful day so very lucky indeed. I later met up with friends who had just moved back from Brussels and were settling back in the city. We had drinks out in the afternoon sun by the quays and watched the ferrys as they left to manly beach and other harbour spots. Dinner later on was in the famous Rocks area just by the bridge. We didn't even bother with cocktails that night as they were 15-25 dollars a go, but still we shared a lovely evening together catching up.

Next day I strolled around Darling harbour and also took a walk through the city, down through through Pitt st and over the harbour bridge which was a lovely walk. At this point i realised that the bridge climb i had originally wanted to do, was no longer for me! The height of the birdge was enough for me to look at, let alone climb UP!!! so walking across it put that idea at rest and i felt happy just to be viewing the harbour and city from the walking path rather than from the top of the structure!

Had a rather mad night out in Sydney around Darling Harbour, the night before i was due to catch my flight up to Airlie beach. Ended up doing several bars and having a good time with some fellow travellers who actually were enjoying their last night in sydney.

Anyway next day was a toughie when i thought my flight was at 11h15 and made it to the airport just before 10h00 only to find that the flight was actually at 10h40 so i JUST made the checkin time by about 2 minutes!!! phewwwwwwwww, no need to buy a new ticket on Virgin! And off i flew up to the Whitsunday Islands.


Tot: 1.129s; Tpl: 0.037s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0257s; 1; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb