Wow ......Sydney!!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Surrey Hills
November 7th 2008
Published: November 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well I arrived expecting to be underwhelmed by Australia (just like England but warmer!) and I was wrong ( how unusual!) Sydney has a charm of its own with gorgeous houses with balconies, great street signs, most places walkable and an air of cleanliness. Sian's house is ideally placed to walk into the city, get buses to the beaches. So this week has been frenetic ..being a tourist is hard work. We've been up the Sydney Tower, looked at the many shops, eaten dim sum in Yum Cha - which is an institution apparently especially for Sunday brunch. I took the open top bus to see the sights and even feeling as jaded as I do, the sight of the Harbour Bridge and the Opera House for the first time is amazing. So of course the bridge had to be walked - dragged Sian with me as our joint birthday treats. It was terrifying to start with walking over gangways and up open stairways dressed in very fetching boiler suits when you are scared of heights!! Fortunately you are attached by a safety cable ( was still scary) all the way. But when you get onto the arch it's ok as you can't see through the floor. The views are amazing and was an experience I won't forget ..it was exhausting!!! Went to Bondi Beach and watched the surfers and the people, swam in ladies only salt water pool by the beach, walked the coastal path passing the most beautiful beaches with stunning waves. There is a different feel here at the beaches as if they are respected ( changing rooms, showers, toilets, cafes all clean and very clean sand) - so not like Blackpool or Margate. So have been very busy. But first day here sitting in the garden , got bitten on my eye so looked as if had been beaten up. I have now experienced the health system at first hand as had to go the Drs. In fact you can go to any doctor..great ..no waiting. And I can claim back what I paid from Medicare.
On Sunday flying off to the hippie town Byron Bay north of Sydney to feel the energies ! Tonight we are going to the ballet at the Opera House ( at last a chance to wear my birthday frock again having carried it around Bali with no chance to wear it). Wow am I having a great time !!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.093s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb