Darlings, Ferries and feeling Manly?


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Darling Harbour
November 23rd 2007
Published: November 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After a much needed lie in we drove to the opera house car park, don't think we'll being doing that again as it was $42 for the day.
After lots of ooohhhhing at the opera house and harbour bridge we went and got on the ferry round to Darling Harbour.
After getting on the ferry I noticed that one of the catamarans was called Evone Goolagong, Ellie asked who she was and then, I think, regretted it immediately. I regailed her for 20 minutes about her, my mother was fascinated by tennis when I was a kid so it created an interest for me also.
Darling harbour is a very touristy place but also a very pretty place.
There was an exhibition of world pictures from the air on of this guy http://www.yannarthusbertrand.com/index_new.htm, so whilst the girls played in the playground area Chloe and I looked at the pictures, (Pictures from a book Chloe brought for her Dad a few years back) which are amazing and if you see the book going cheap well worth investing in....
On the ferry back to Circular Quay, Ellie, after seeing the people, decided that she wanted to climb the harbour bridge. Needless to say both Chloe and I refused to take her up.
We caught another ferry over to Manly. The trip takes about 30 minutes so we had some time to explore the boat.
When you get off the ferry there is a large pedestrian street that leads to the beach. Due to the fact that Chloe has bright pink hair and I have blue we got picked on by a tout outside a restaurant to come in and because of the hair colour we would get a discount. We carried on to the beach. The girls got busy making sandcastles so Chloe and I sat on the steps and watched the surfers. We were very amused when a couple of Japanese nuns appeared. We both aggreed that the beach was nicer than Bondi, but it was getting late so we walked back towards the ferry. The guy was still outside the restaurant and Ellie was insistent that we go in!. We did stop and it was not bad.... Due to it being later than we realised we had to run for the ferry.
The next day we returned to Darling harbour to go to the aquarium. We chose to park at Bondi Junction and catch the train in to the city. The girls thought it was very cool going on a double decker train. Unfortunatly when paying for 4 train tickets and parking it's cheaper to drive into the center, but the kids loved it.
The Aquarium claims to be one of the best in the world... I would say it is close... it S****s on London Zoo for sure... There are thre walk through tanks, one with seals one with sharks, rays and big turtles and the third with allsorts of wonderfull fishes in. There are also a couple of touching areas, Chloe touched a small sand shark, which she says was like sand paper but the girls were too scared. In the second touching area the girls were all over the starfish but refused to touch the sea cucumber, I shan't say what she said it was like but i'm sure you can all imagine.
Without the kids it could have lasted a couple hours more easily. Despite that we were still in there for 3.5 hours, reasonable for $68.
When we came out there was a rush to get to the Imax for 4pm. We missed the showing by
Manly BeachManly BeachManly Beach

With Japanese nun in background!!
5 minutes. Instead we walked around the otherside of the harbour to the marine museum. There have a replica of Cptn. Cooks Endeavour which we though was quite cool. Aisha was insistant that it was Cptn. Hook's boat and that peter Pan and Tinkerbell were hiding on it somewhere.
We then caught the ferry back to Circular Quay and the train back to Bondi Junction.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Harbour BridgeHarbour Bridge
Harbour Bridge

Girls in front of the bridge
Harbour BridgeHarbour Bridge
Harbour Bridge

Taken from ferry on our way to Manly
Duck billed PlatypusDuck billed Platypus
Duck billed Platypus

What a very cool and unusual animal.
Fairy PenguinsFairy Penguins
Fairy Penguins

They eluded us in NZ
EllieEllie
Ellie

Ellie in the walk through tank with a small shark behind.
Aisha & RussAisha & Russ
Aisha & Russ

In another of the walk through tanks


26th November 2007

you wusses!!
Cannot belive u did not attempt the bridge u wuss. I did and was awesome

Tot: 0.21s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0705s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb