Coogee, Settled at last


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Coogee
December 24th 2008
Published: December 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Last night in our prison cell dorm tonight as check out is tomorrow. We have definatley decided that we want to live by the beech. After searching and searching for houses, Jacki, the Kiwi from our previous entry says that she would love to have us stay, and the room was ours if we wanted. Feel alot more relaxed now we have somewhere to stay, and can properly now start looking for jobs.

We went to another aerobics class, this time closer to home in a place called Randwick. Can't believe we are doing the exact same class 19,000 kilometres away from home. Bit of a long way to go for aerobics, but worth it. Thought we would struggle, but surprisingly we were okay.

Had to vacate our room at 10 am which is a pain. It was meant to be rainy today, but once again the sun was splitting the sky. We are loving all this warm weather, as it makes a change from minus 1 and pelting with rain back home. We had to gather our suitcases and bags, and carry thm onto the bus which was not air conditioned, and had no available seats, so for an unpleasent 45 minutes we had to stand in the baking heat. We arrive at our third hostel location at the beachside backpackers on Coogee Bay Road. After getting settled into our spacious bedroom, we decide to head out and about. On the way to the local pub, we meet a couple of people from Edinburgh, Dean and his cousin Hayley, who are brand new. We felt more relaxed as the people at our new hostel are friendlier. We also meet a guy from Greenock called Gareth, who is brand new aswell. The only problem is, for the last three weeks everybody has been calling him Gary, when his actual name is Gareth. Anyway, we head to the Coogee Bay Hotel, which is technically our local, however we have since grown to despise it. Having both went for an interview, we were informed we had been succesful, and would be gaining employment in the next few weeks. Turns out this is rubbish, and they don't even have the decency to contact us to let us know. In hindsight we are glad we do not get work there as it turns out a disgruntled member of staff had filled a couples ice cream with feaces, ending in a law suit and a 50000 dollar settlement. I digress.

We begin looking for jobs, and I am slightly concerned that every bar maid and wait staff appears to be female. We continue to hand out cv's, and after filling in an online application, Nikki is offered a job in a restaurant called Barzura. It is a nice restaurant right on the beach with gorgeous views over Coogee Bay. Nikki has been working there almost a month now, and within the last two weeks, she has been getting more and more shifts, and is making really good tips.

Having been for a few interviews, and sent of roughly 100 cv's, I was slightly concerned at my lack of work. I even applied for employment with a balloon company, needless to say, I recieved a knock back. I managed to get in contact with a small promotions company who invited me along to pr for their club in King's Cross, on Saturday Dec 13th. I enjoyed the work, but some people can be so rude. They said they liked my work, and would I be interested in doing more work for them, to which I replied I would love to. Then, on Monday there, Nikki bought me a good luck stone, as I was still slightly concerned with the work situation. I opened my usuall magazine to see what jobs were going, and to my amazement I say the advert stating "Dj Required for CBD bar". I was absolutely delighted, and phoned the bar asap. It is a busy back packers bar, and I have a trial this Saturday. If I am good, I will get asked back, and may possibly doing a Friday aswell. I could potentially be working 12 hours a week, which in dj terms is nearly a full time job.

Things at the moment are going really well in the flat. We are getting on really well with Jacki, and she has introduced us to a few of her friends who are all brand new, and have really made us feel welcome. We went to a place called Watson's Bay on Jacki's day off. The sun was split in the sky, and from our restaurant we could see the entire Sydney skyline including the harbour bridge. Slightly disconcerting that the whole beach had a bottom to top shark net that was clearly visible. The visible shark net has not discouraged us, as we have been swimming nearly every day, body surfing the waves in the ocean, that is unless the blue bottle jelly fish are out, in which case it is dive for cover.

Before going to Watson's Bay, we went to the Chinese Garden of Friendship in the Darling Harbour area of Sydney a few Saturday's back. Filled with coy carpe and bonzi trees, the place is a tranquil haven in the centre of the city centre. We had a ball, and you can see the pictures below.

I think that is all we have to report at the moment.

We wish you all a merry xmas, and will update again after the new year.

Take care. Greg & Nikki.

P.S We are heading to Newcastle on Jan 3rd for the first round of the Australian Speedway championship featuring a few of our own Glasgow Tigers riders. Then on the Sunday we are heading to Hunter Valley to sample the delights of the local wines. We will let you know how our adventures go (if we can remember).


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Nelson's PointNelson's Point
Nelson's Point

Note the shark net !


8th January 2009

Happy New Year
Happy New Year! Glad to hear you're settled and everything's going well, and that you're getting sorted out work-wise. Your flat sounds great and the beach looks lovely. Much like the beach here, apart from the sunshine and the Sh**ks. You'll just have to learn to swim without waggling your feet, or at least remember not to go into the water carrying raw meat! Brian, who is a feartie, has suggested that he would regress to practicing swimming on top of a stool on the beach, rather than going into the water. An image to conjure with! Have a great start to 2009, and we'll look forward to hearing how it's going as the year goes on. Love Sheila and Brian

Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0758s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb