Seeing Sydney by car


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Chatswood
October 16th 2009
Published: October 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

We are renting a car for the first time since we arrived here - looking forward to see Sydney in the comfort of my own car, without smelling trains.

It did not start off very well. The place that we were supposed to pick up the car from is located at 700 Foster Road, Hurstville; so, we started out from Hurstville train station, around 250 Foster Road, thinking we will get there within 15 minutes walk. After half an hour, we weren't even at 400!! THEN, we realized we will never get there on foot. It was hot and sunny, thinking about the broken O zone layer, I felt like skin cancer is building up inside my body. Taxi isn't very common here, we had no luck catching or even seeing one as we go. Finally, we found a train station, got the taxi company phone number from a store employee and caught a cab. It turns out that the street number on Foster Road restarts after it passed Hurstville train station, technically, the city the car rental place located is Bexley, which is in the opposite direction!! MAD.

Thanks to whoever numbered the street, we started our journey late at around 3pm. Knowing that everything in Sydney pretty much closes by 6pm, we decided to quickly head to the Sydney Fish Market, one of the largest fish market in Australia. There were a large variety of seafood, a lot of them I don't even recognize. I can't wait to try every single one of them. We managed to buy a dozen of South Pacific raw oysters for $16! They are SOOO fresh! Yum yum..

Next, we crossed the Harbour Bridge and went to the North shore. This is the newer (and of course more expensive) side of Sydney, may be similar to North Vancouver. We went to Chatswood. We were told that this is Mini Hong Kong here, with a lot of Chinese restaurants and shops. It turns out that this street that they called Mini Hong Kong is not even comparable to Victoria Drive in Vancouver. Hahaha, Vancouver won again. Nevertheless, we bought a BBT there, it was not bad.

We arrived at Manly Beach before sunset. This is the first time we've ever been to a beach since we arrived. The travel books did not lie on this one - the beach here is gorgeous! Clear, turquoise, warm, sandy!! I am looking forward to dive into the water when the temperature gets warmer.




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Dinner at ManlyDinner at Manly
Dinner at Manly

Fish and chips - of course!


Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0993s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb