Day 62


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Bondi Beach
June 22nd 2010
Published: June 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Australia most famous beach and one of the world most famous is Bondi and despite Philip being on his second visit to Sydney and being here just shy of three weeks Philip had never been there. so to put that right he decide to run there and follow the route of Sydney’s biggest road race the city to surf run which takes place unfortunaly after we have left this beautiful country.

To extend it a bit further he follows the Bondi to Coogee Coastal Walk which is a stunning footpath along cliff tops going past Waverley Cemetery which is the burial place of the rich and famous in Sydney looking out to sea.

As we turn the corner to reveal this most famous of beaches the Heavens open and it begins to throw it down, Philip ploughs on up and down steps in danger of being blown in to sea by the gale. the sea look as dangerous mistress as we ever seen and you wouldn’t need sharks or jellyfish to finish you off today. completely wet and soaked half delirious he spots a rainbow peering thou the mist the most vivid and beguiling of things he just run he personnel best distance and there stood on a lonely cold cliff top in Sydney on the most horrific of days is one of the most enchanting things he has ever seen. I m not sure if there are tears streaming down his face as the rain is battering us and Philip is that num he doesn’t know ether.

What the guide book doesn’t tell you or more likely Philip didn’t read is the walk from bondi to coogee is up and down a series of tall steps which the first time you can bang rocky on your Mp3 and love the novelty of it by the tenth set your just ready to cry. but as the storms turn thunderous he charges up the last set before turning for home at the top looking completely deranged and like he has been dragged from the sea stands there screaming " WHATS OUR NAME." from the cliff top out to sea. luckily no one else is stupid enough to be out today to see this sight it's a seminal moment when anything seems possible

He stops to buy some water at a kiosk and the women said it was the worst day of the year, he tell her it's his first time ever at bondi and she said how sorry she was and he must be gutted to come all this way. When he tells her it was one of the best day of his life and I had just run further than ever he tells her about the rainbow to which she replys "what rainbow?" as he runs off waving soaked to the skin the only one on one of the worlds most famous beaches she shouted he was mad. think she was mad the one.

We return home to news of Bobby finishing third in his race at school and considering everything that might just be the most inspirational thing of the day.

11 days to go please pass on






Advertisement



23rd June 2010

Love it...
Hi Phil Loved your post today... I ran the Bondi Beach and back when we first arrived in Australia! We stayed there for over a week... Massive for me and scary as hell, it was raining, which was fine... but some guys stopped me at the end of Bondi to ask if I would be part of a filming thing for ABC! I briefly stopped, said no and kept running, like crazy!!! The next day there was news of a girl gone missing in/around Sydney... Her body was found a couple of days later in shrubs in the inner city!!! I often wonder Phil, because I had really bad vibes about those 2 boys with their big van parked behind them... Anyway, on a lighter note, Bondi was our first real stop in Aus and we had fun! I have photo's of William's footprints in the sand at Bondi, he was 20 months old... and we have photos of me giving Will a piggy back on Bondi Beach... So very cute! Love your post!!!

Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0785s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb