travel - oxford street - beach - sightseeing - visiting old friends


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Bondi Beach
October 21st 2007
Published: October 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Singapore okt 07 001Singapore okt 07 001Singapore okt 07 001

View From Our Hotel In Singapore
16.10.07

At last came the day that we've been looking forward to with all kinds of different emotions.

Once on board of our flight the children we're very excited when they saw that everyone had a small dvd screen and a remote control, but it was more fun for Freja than Eskil and it ended up being a long flight for Eskil. He was especially annoyed with not getting any dinner but breakfast at what for him was late in the evening. Freja however enjoyed the whole trip thoroughly.

We landed in Singapore at approx. 23.30 and had been advised to let our luggage check in all the way to Sydney, which meant that we only had to go through customs and then go and find our transportation to the hotel. Everything was very well organised and at about 1:00/7:00 in the morning we could lie down and go to sleep.

17.10.07

Woke up at about 14:00 Singapore time and went for some breakfast/lunch - had a couple of hours by the hotel pool and took a walk around chinatown, but it was too warm and the kids were hungry and tired, so we went back
Singapore okt 07 002Singapore okt 07 002Singapore okt 07 002

Check-In At Changi Airport
and about 23:00 we went to sleep again.

18.10.07

Up at six the next morning and picked up at six thirty to be taken to the airport. Singapore airport is a big airport and very nice. Had a look around to see where the transit hotel we'll be sleeping in on our way back was. Breakfast and then it was time for the flight again.

This time it was only 7.30 hours and Freja watched Hairspray for the fourth time. Eskil took a long sleep (4 hours) and Paul and I just sat and sat. When we arrived it was just as last time the customs dog picked my back out because I had had an apple in it, but luckily this time the didn't go through all our stuff. All the suitcases were there and we were picked up outside arrivals by an employee from the company where we had rented the apartment. After a drive of about 20 min. we arrived in Oxford Street, Sydney and we're welcomed by a sort of janitor, who showed us the whats and ifs of the apartment.

A bit later I had a stroll to buy milk and other essentials and somewhat later Paul went out to get some take away food - and it is not cheap here!!! And then we all crashed once again, but what a relief it had been with the stopover in Singapore. Thank you Claus for good advice.

Sydney, 19.10.07

After 14 years we're back again. The children very much wanted to go to the beach so off we went to Bondi Beach after having bought bus and harbour ferry tickets for the whole week. And the ocean was exactly as wonderfully blue and turqouise as we remembered. And huge waves - lots of fun. Had lunch in a restaurant by the sea and went back to the apartment.

Eskil had woken Tine at 4 o'clock so we both took a nap. Oxford Street is very much a going out area and it's very noisy and never seems to sleep. There are enourmous lines in front of the night club opposite our apartment and they keep on till very late (early).

We're not completely over our jetlag but we're working on it.

Sydney, 20.10.07

Today we we're woken by the upstairs neighbour drilling away their tiles
Sydney Okt 07 002Sydney Okt 07 002Sydney Okt 07 002

Sydney Opera House
in bathroom and kitchen. We had to flee the apartment, and went downtown to stroll around the harbour and take in some of the sights.

After listening to some didgereedoo music and just looking around, the first stop was, of course, the Opera House. We walked up and down and Tine had a listening in on a guide telling about how poorly Jørn Utzon was treated by the Danish government after his exit from Australia. The children found it quite impressive and maybe we will get to see the inside the third time we come here. Since 1999 Jørn Utzon is again part of the Opera House, where a renovation of the interior is taking place, now making it look more like what he originally intended.

And then we saw a small train and as Eskil is crazy about trains (also on wheels) we had a ride. It turned out to be a nice and easy way to get around the Botanical Garden and we saw a lot of bats hanging from the trees everywhere. and sometimes flying around. Afterwards we went back to Circular Quay and took the harbour ferry to Darling Harbour, had some lunch, bought
Sydney Okt 07 003Sydney Okt 07 003Sydney Okt 07 003

Choo-Choo Train In Botanic Garden
some t-shirts and just looked around.

We went home and Eskil crashed at about half past six and was not to awaken again so Paul cooked at home. We tried skype yesterday and it worked, Freja had a chat with mormor.

Sydney, 21.10.07

Friday we got in contact with the people we know here in Sydney and stayed with last time we we're here. They still lived in the same place and we went to see them in the morning. Got of at the wrong stop and took a very warm walk through Centennial Park to where they live. Lovely park with loads of people jogging, walking, doing tai chi, horseback riding and so forth. After talking for a bit we went for coffee and afterwards we went to Coogee Beach where they went to see their daughter and we (they) jumped and were thrown around in the waves for a couple of hours.

Had lunch with Alan and Pat and went home and ate there.

Sydney, 22.10.07

Very, very hot day. Paul and the children went to the beach while Tine took a walk to the NSW Artgallery. Not particularly interesting and I
Sydney Okt 07 004Sydney Okt 07 004Sydney Okt 07 004

LamRock Café
took a bus to find the rest at the beach.

Wonderful beach at Bondi and everyone enjoyed themselves for a couple of hours. Had lunch at Lamrock cafe at Bondi Beach and then we split up.

Freja and Paul went shopping for some sandals and Eskil and Tine went back to beach where the waves were very big by now. Stayed there until 16.30 and then we shopped a bit at Bondi Junction and went back home. Paul cooked and we just stayed at home so Eskil could go to bed early.

He is totally worn out at 19 o'clock

Sydney, 23.10.07

Today Tine, Eskil and Freja went to Taronga Zoo. We took the ferry over there and then the cable car up to the zoo. It was fun to ride over the enclosures where the different animals were and see it from above.

It is a very nice zoo with a wonderful view over the harbour and Sydney skyline. The first thing we did was to get photographed with the koalas. Unfortunately, the children were not allowed to hold them or touch them, but we were very close to them and they are
Sydney Okt 07 005Sydney Okt 07 005Sydney Okt 07 005

Koala At Taronga Zoo
adorable to look at.

The koalas in the wild have suffered terribly from chlamydia which means that a lot of them have died, but it seems to be better now. now it's only humans that are threatening them.

Paul took the ferry to Manly and went for a 10 km scenic walk from Manly around the North and Middle Harbour to The Spit. This beautiful track passes watersides mansions, through the bushland and subtropical rainforrest of Sydney Harbour National park, isolated beaches and stunning harbour viewpoints. Paul met a lizzard and cookaburra on his way. From the Spit he took the bus back to the city across the Sydney Harbour Bridge. along the beach. We met at Circular Quay and took a very short stroll in The Rocks and went home. Later in the evening we went out for dinner just around the corner.

Sydney, 24.10.07

Last day in Sydney which is good because our upstairs neighbour is drilling a bit too much. The children are not so happy about living in a big city, it is much too noisy compared to what they are used to, so it will do us all some good to
Sydney Okt 07 006Sydney Okt 07 006Sydney Okt 07 006

Sydney Harbour Skyline
go up to Barrington Tops tomorrow and hopefully see some wild Kangaroos.

Today we had agreed upon taking the monorail and get of at different stops and do some shopping. We checked out Paddy's city market, Victoria Galleries, had lunch in a typical foodcourt in Pitt St., on to David Jones department store and finished at the magnificent Victorian style Queen Victoria Building. Freja got some shoes and Paul some sandals. Eskil got a small didgereedoo and Tine found some small pieces of Aboriginal art to be framed at home. Now we are busy packing for tomorrow where we pick up our car at Kings Cross at about 11 o'clock and go north.

We have been really lucky with the weather. It is changing now but it was wonderful to have a couple of days by the beach.

I've just been outside and it is raining which I think they are very pleased about down here, because of the long drought, but it is still warm.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Sydney Okt 07 007Sydney Okt 07 007
Sydney Okt 07 007

Our Apartment Building In Oxford Street
Sydney Okt 07 009Sydney Okt 07 009
Sydney Okt 07 009

Sydney Opera House
Sydney Okt 07 010Sydney Okt 07 010
Sydney Okt 07 010

Darling Harbour
Sydney Okt 07 011Sydney Okt 07 011
Sydney Okt 07 011

Our Apartment


25th October 2007

Test
Hello all, Tried to post a comment, but with no luck. Jest trying again to see if it could work. Looks really good out there! Love Lone
25th October 2007

bravo
hej, hvor er det flot lavet, dit engelske er misundelsesværdigt, det minder mig lidt om Karens mails. har I tænkt jer at købe jer igennem den rejse, ordet shopping dukker op ret ofte, er det dejligt? den dagbog bliver pragtfuld at have for fremtiden. tillykke med den.
27th October 2007

Heej . Sorry
Heej Freja og co. Undskyld . Jeg har ikke været en specielt god lektiebog . Ups . Men jeg mailer det med det sammen. Men jeg har heller ikke hørt så meget fra diig . Hehe . Kram til hele familien Nikoline <3
28th October 2007

Hilsen fra Annette, Peter, Tania og Cristina
Hej alle fire! Hvor er det herligt at læse om jeres rejse! Tania og jeg sad her i eftermiddag og læste, vi måtte have fat i en ordbog, da der var et par ord vi ikke kendte. Rigtig godt at I skriver på engelsk. Der er jo stort set ingen engelskundervisning i klassen iøjeblikket Æv. Idag har vi skåret græskar ud, ristet græskarkerner, set forbrydelsen, set valgkamp m.m. Håber I får set nogle Kænguruer ! I kan jo hilse dem her :-) http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/902676.html?popped=1
15th December 2007

Breathtaking
Hello Guys! What a lot of breathtaking pictures you are showing us! And how exciting it all seems to be. What an experience for all of you. Can't wait to read next insert. Here in DK Christmas is getting closer and we are seing family and friends for Glögg and stuff, you know. How is Christmas going to be for you? Knus og kram Lone

Tot: 0.277s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0794s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb