Day 35 - The koala hospital, Murray’s Brewery and Lyndsey’s birthday


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Port Stephens
March 26th 2024
Published: March 26th 2024
Edit Blog Post

Another easy start today. I set the alarm for 7:20, as Angelika and I were up late chatting… and I’m feeling so tired. I can’t believe that I’m on day 35 already!!!

My case is a mess, but it’s closed, and ready to go. I was showered, and ready to go by 7:50. I took my stuff round to Angelika and Timo’s place. Today is Lyndsey’s 53rd birthday. We ate congregating to give her a cake, card, little gift and little cake. We all arrived, lit the candle, then sent her a text to come to number 2 house.

She came round, probably expecting we had a problem, we all sang happy birthday, gave her the bits. She seemed happy with the effort we had made for her. I guess it’s hard when you’re on your, with no family, so it’s good to make the effort for her.

The bags, and cases were all put into the trailer, hand luggage was put onto the bus, then we all went for breakfast together. It was like a repeat of yesterday, we all took the eggs this morning. It’s a nice breakfast here, but now, it’s time to leave. By 9am, we were on the road again! The rain has come back to annoy us! It’s warm, but wet.

My leaving view photo from this site is of the on-site lake. I took this one as it’s the first time that I’ve seen the water lillies slightly open!

We are heading out this morning for the koala hospital in Port Macquarie. It is a wildlife rehabilitation facility, the Koala Hospital has been helping rescue and rehabilitate koalas since 1973. In 2022, the Koala was offically listed as an endangered species. Deforestation, urbanisation, bush fires and encroachment have diminished natural habitats for koalas to grow, thrive and reproduce.

We are driving through Port Macquarie. It’s now 11:25, we did have a quick coffee/toilet stop earlier, but didn’t stay long as we’re heading on for the koala hospital, and we’re actually very close.

Aww, that was a lovely stop there. They are so stunning. I learnt something new today. I knew that the koala slept a lot, it had no idea why!

Despite the rumours, koalas don't 'get high' or 'drugged out' on eucalyptus leaves. Eucalyptus is toxic, so the koala's digestive system has to work hard to digest it, breaking down the toxins and extracting limited nutrients.
Every days a school day!

Reading all the information on the hospital patient board, then following it up with the information cards on each koala pen shows how much need there is for these animals.

After completing the visit to the hospital area, we moved on to the Roto House which in 1891, this 11 room weatherboard house is constructed from local red mahogany, and was occupied by his family right up until 1979. It shares its space with the koala hospital, so it’s natural to go from one, straight on to the other. That was a good stop!

We drove to the next service station for a lunch pick up. We can’t stop as we have an appointment at Murray’s Craft Brewery Co. at 3pm in Port Stephens. Murray’s started from humble beginnings in a tiny village called Taylors Arm. The brewing facilities have since been upgraded four times.

It was hot and sunny for this visit. It was a good visit. The guy who spoke with us was so passionate. Both the boys, and Angelika thoroughly enjoyed the tasting paddles. They all bought something to take back for the after dinner meal for Lyndsey’s birthday. I monopolised the axing caramel popcorn. I actually ate too much.

We are staying at the Pacific Resort at Salamander Bay in Port Stephen’s. It was only a short drive from the brewery. It has a swimming pool that circles around the full hotel, I measured 470 m in the length. The room is like a small self cater apartment near the pool edge.

Tonight we are having a meal in the hotel restaurant. It’s a lovely setting, so we are all looking forward to a nice meal.

We weren’t disappointed. It was a lovely meal. I had hot prawns, which were huge! I shared that with Angelika. Then followed it up with pesto pasta. The meal was finished off with a lemon cake with candles for Lyndsey’s birthday. It was a good evening meal.

It’s now 10pm, tonight I’m having an early night. It’s so tiring….. all this relaxing, enjoying myself and sitting in a bus!!! Ha ha


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



26th March 2024

Day 35
Hi Les. Am really enjoying your blogs, am recovering from leg vein surgery so your blogs give me something to look forward to. Some more stunning photos, keep doing what you’re passionate about, look after yourself 😘
26th March 2024

Oh no!
Hi Julie, hope you’re ok, take it easy and get well soon xxxx

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb